Dumb Down? No. Resist that Pressure

dumb dummy

The dumb life. The semi-sleepy life. Quite the opposite of spiritual awakening, isn’t it?

Dumb down?  Note: If you can’t read this whole article, skip ahead to the reframe of the famous “La La Land” photo. You may think about it all day.

Collective consciousness in America (and elsewhere) may make dumbing down seem like a cool way to survive. Have you noticed that pressure lately?

But you can insist on being robustly human, living juicy!

Not just for the sake of spiritual awakening. Enjoy that human life because it can turn glorious. Especially if you accept no substitute for living as that human smartie you are. No dummie. A smartie!

Dumb. Dull. Spaced. Who Cares?

You can. And I can. For heaven’s sake, it’s important that we care. To show it, let’s just keep engaging in everyday human activities.

Maybe you’re wondering: Why has Rose  noticed this latest kind of pressure in collective consciousness? Thank my work.

Doing sessions of Rosetree Energy Spirituality (RES), I spend much of my daily Technique Time exploring how people live energetically.

Delving into one chakra databank after another, helping one client after another, I’m finding a new — and quite disturbing — weariness.

It’s a collective version of, “What’s the use?”

As though “problems are bigger than I can solve.” So (supposedly) “Why not go into a Trumpian-Torpor-Trance of dullness?”

To which there are a thousand smartass replies. Bet you can find a very satisfying one right now!

Have You Noticed a Dumb, Dumbing Torpor in YOUR Workplace?

In politics, Trump is setting the tone. Not interested in intelligence briefings?

Although I’m no believer in “Trickle-down economics,” could we be seeing a trickle-down dumb-down?

“That’s too complicated” becomes a criticism. Even when talking about complex matters that demand attention.

I’m curious. Are you finding people just plain playing dumb?

• People who whine “I don’t know”
  • Or they can’t decide.
  • Or they want you to tell them what to do… while they kinda sorta take a nice mental nap.
  • Perhaps liquor is looking tastier than ever. Weed too.
  • Maybe there’s a desire to be cool and not care, creating a sort of inner callous.
  • Millions whose voting choices led to the Trump presidency may have begun to struggle with their moral culpability, shoving it into denial day after day

Today I even heard on “Fresh Air” an interview about why top Silicon Valley executives are spending millions on getaway places where they can go away and hide.

How to Counter “Dumb”? Engagement

Don’t let the dumb get to you. Find a way to wake yourself up, shake up your surroundings.

Blog-Buddies, you can find an honorable way to keep living juicy.

Consequently, you’ll also help our collective consciousness.

Maybe even win some extra points at spiritual awakening.

La La Land Is For Dummies. Appealing But Dumb.

With all respect to a movie I really enjoyed… let’s stop romanticizing variations on living in La La Land.

For legal and ethical reasons, I can’t show you that iconic image from the movie. But here’s a link to that famous “La La Land” Dance Number.

The surreal image shows stalled cars with people lifted out, hovering in the air.

Think about that. Life on earth stops. So stuck!

Well, off people go. Lively and having a ball. Because they’re flying around in energy bodies.

It’s Dumb to Let Human Life Stall

While Seeking “Something Nobler.”

Romantic But Stooopid.

Heck, during my years of TM-induced spiritual addiction, I had recurring dreams that were similar to that “La La Land” dance number.

People on earth are stuck but so what? I’ll fly around in my body, lighter than air, and be really “spiritual.”

Nonsense! A pot-lover’s pipe dream!

Ascension talk is dangerous for personal development.

If you feel like you’re stuck or struggling in your life, don’t think some nobler fantasy about energy is going to solve those problems.

Just keep living. Doing.

Even when you make slow progress, at least that’s human progress, right?

Emily T says:

Thanks Rose! I have noticed over in England a denial of what’s going on politically. For all the talk in the papers, not many people want to talk about Brexit.

And neither the people or the papers talk about the sabotaging of the National Health Service by the current government.

Emily T says:

And I have noticed at work, a sense of “make it simple” for others. Not necessarily avoiding complex work but an assumption that others won’t be able to handle it.

Anonymous says:

Thank you for your new insights from your work and the important reminder that we can live “juicy” and don’t need to space out or go numb and wait it out. So helpful!

Anchie says:

Love love love this article! Especially this: “Even when you make slow progress , at least that’s human progress, right?”

Thanks for keeping it real, Rose!

Cathy says:

Good thoughts, and a reminder that yes, we should not slack off on living fully. I know my instinct right now is to hide my head under the pillow and not come out.

I’ve cleaned up my news feed yet again…is it so wrong to never want to see another political post again? lol would it be considered cowardly if I didn’t deal with the news…

I suppose so. Numbness is tempting.

Evgenia says:

It is really hard to have a healthy argument nowadays.

It seems like all of the wisdom that was gained through centuries is suddenly gone and every conversation requires to go back to basic “hygiene”.

Evgenia says:

And I notice that I personally do not always find words to explain basic things since there was never a need.

And here we are, spending time and trying to decide if washing hands before you eat is a safe choice even though that was discovered a while ago and was not questioned for a long time.

Anonymous says:

When Trump won the election, someone I know said, “Well, at least pot is legal in our state now. We’re going to need it.”

It made me sad to think of that person spacing out even more.

Julie says:

I noticed a weariness and feeling of problems being too big to solve this week, in myself. It came up during technique time in one of the healings that I did.

I was reminded of a couple of things. First, when the “little me” does things, without divine help, they often do seem hard.

Julie says:

Without thinking to *ask* for help in the direction of growth (or obstacle, depending on how you look at it), things can be rather hard.

The divine is there to assist.

Julie says:

The other thought is that I really can only do my own part. What happens now and next is a shared responsibility.

If I’m productive within the limit of number of hours in a day, and taking on the causes that speak to me, then I am already doing a lot.

Julie says:

I can only do what’s mine to do and be effective.

Important truths here, JULIE. Thank you.

Lo says:

Something which helped immensely with my post election weariness was cutting my cord of attachment to Donald Trump.

It perked me back up and helped me become much clearer and more hopeful again, I was pretty shocked by how much of a difference it made.

Emily T says:

Thanks Lo for that suggestion!

I keep meaning to ask about that particular cord. Considering my floor at work has a TV set to the news all day (silently thank God) it is probably a priority for me now!

About that suggestion, LO and EMILY T, here’s how to pursue it.

Unless you are an RES expert, do not facilitate cutting cords of attachment on your own… when the cordee is in extreme spiritual addiction.

Technically, these are not ordinary cords of attachment.

So here’s what to do instead. Set up an appointment with an RES expert. Bring the intention, “To keep my balance during the Trump Presidency.”

Then the RES expert will, as always, find the priority for helping you during that session.

If that session’s Healing Centerpiece happens to involve cutting your cord of attachment to Trump, you will notice that the procedure is quite different from the usual 12 Steps to Cut Cords of Attachment®.

Thanks, EMILY T and LO, for raising that question. You haven’t done anything wrong, LO. As you notice, you’re feeling better. EMILY T had the right idea, though, about raising that question (or bringing the intention I just recommended) during a session of Energy HEALING with an RES Practitioner or Apprentice.

Emily T says:

Thanks Rose, a great intention! I have an RES session coming up soon too. 🙂

Zofia says:

Thanks Rose. The most tiring thing of the last year has been of the type that I’m hoping that the techniques from the New Strong will help me with.

You noticed, ZOFIA. You’re welcome.

Millions of people are struggling with the problems outlined in “The New Strong,” and solutions can be found there too.

And EMILY T, you’re welcome too. 🙂

Zofia says:

It’ll be interesting to hear of anyone’s stories about communicating about RES with people who might not have heard of it.

I would write a blog post, but I don’t have a story to share.

Amanda says:

I have a slightly different take on this torpor.

To me it’s a sign of breakthrough when someone starts to get ‘tired of carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders’.

Amanda says:

What it signals is a desire to stop fighting, to stop resisting, to get back to normal.

Amanda says:

I am fundamentally not a struggler. I would much rather swim than sink and I consider reality to be my best friend.

Amanda says:

From the point of view of surrendering gracefully to reality, I am astonished at the degree of tension and resistance that is showing up in people.

Politics seems to be the new trend in resisting the reality of our lives.

Amanda says:

Donald Trump does not dominate my mind and nor should he. What a waste of my energy and the God-given gift of my life if I allowed him that much power!

Amanda says:

I am aware I am going against the trrnd of recent comments and posts with this, but I do at least feel this is a place I can comment! 🙂

Amanda says:

So to me this torpor signals the tiredness of unnecessary tension and battle – and the urge for domination and rectitude beginning finally to loosen its hold.

Amanda says:

There are many better uses for that energy in people’s actual lives. Getting caught up in mass hysteria is not helpful or practical.

So huzzah for torpor if it signals a return to reality!

That’s my take, for what it’s worth.

🙂

Amanda

Amanda says:

I should just add that this is not an ‘ignore it and it will go away’ philosophy. It’s more about how we can transform tension into appropriate action.

For some, appropriate action will be to do nothing. Others are really well placed to make a difference.

But getting caught up in actions that are not personally meaningful – or perhaps in actions that have a lot of ‘push’ but no traction – to me this is a signal that out efforts are not in the right direction.

And I see a lot of that happening!

🙂

AMANDA, of course it’s important for you to express your point of view, and you’ve done it with your usual eloquence and caring.

However, I couldn’t disagree more with the substance of what you’ve written.

I’m proud of my senator, Tim Kaine, for what he did yesterday — calling out Trump on one of his latest roles, as holocaust denier.

Zofia says:

Thanks Amanda. Those comments are really insightful.

Zofia says:

Actually, I scrolled down here to make a comment that I don’t know how you can dumb down these days… How is that even possible?

And I stand (in spirit) with every attorney who has volunteered to help immigrants to enter the U.S., I’m proud to stand with every demonstrator who insists that America must remain a free nation.

I’ll gladly spend some time to act as an engaged citizen. My husband and I will continue to donate money appropriately. That’s one of the things that money is for.

The appalling scapegoating of Muslim immigrants, and Muslim Americans, must stop. Americans of conscience will not sit back meekly.

Zofia says:

The main side effect of the shift for me was that things that I had buried deep down come up. Twas really annoying.

Previously to that, I had (in my random, happy go lucky way) done a whole bunch of things in life other than to deal with personal stuff.

Zofia says:

For a while I knew the energy I was putting into my community action things was me not facing the reality of my own life… But I’m thinking now the personal stuff is “done” or “being taken care of” then I can do other things with a more honest heart.

Julie says:

For me, this time of chaos in politics is a chance to show what I believe it. I wasn’t raised in a family that ever (to my recollection) talked about politics.

I wasn’t really involved but was born into and brought up with these rights that are somewhat taken for granted.

And shouldn’t be.

Julie says:

I do feel that rights not defended are easily lost. So many examples from history show that freedom needs to be defended.

Julie says:

I see in Donald Trump examples of things that I don’t stand for: ignorance, bigotry, dishonesty.

These are things that beg to be spoken up against.

Julie says:

So I’m glad to be part of the resistance (Not as a full-time activist. Please, how could I?) but in the little ways I can.

Julie says:

Something that I’m learning about morality is that what’s easiest is often NOT the way for me to go.

It takes, to borrow a point from Rose, strength to choose what’s right.

Rachel says:

I agree with you, Rose, about the necessity of taking action and – as I would call it – resisting evil.

The Holocaust was a sickening and horrific event, but surely one thing it has to teach us is the immense importance of not slip-sliding into such dark days again.

Rachel says:

It also reminds me of some recent comments on a newer post, about the Bhagavad Gita and Arjuna.

I seem to remember that the ‘final message’ to Arjuna was to get onto the battlefield and fight for all his worth!

Amen to that!!

Isabella C. says:

Amanda, interesting. So many of us are well positioned to do something that actually makes a difference. We’re alive!

I think being part of the resistance against Donald Trump is about using our power in reality, not about not accepting reality.

Isabella C. says:

Actually, a big theme among resisters has been staying aware of reality, of the truth.

Facts.

Isabella C. says:

As we all know, Trump attempts to twist reality in some really supremely creepy ways.

There’s been a lot of education about this from bloggers, journalists, facebook posts, meetings, conversations.

Isabella C. says:

Many people who might not have been very in touch with reality, yet cannot stand Tr*mp, are getting an education on things like facts and how to notice when you’re being manipulated or brainwashed.

Gaining some basic critical thinking skills, or actually putting the skills they have to use.

Isabella C. says:

That is huge.

This goes beyond dealing with Trump; it’s educating huge swaths of people about living in the Age of Awakening.

Eloquent comments on this thread! Thanks so much, everyone.

In particular, I’d like to second the idea from ISABELLA. The New Strong doesn’t just happen to a person. Free will and reality, sheer householdery engagement, matter enormously.

Isabella C. says:

Plus, how could I sit back and do nothing? I would be sick with shame.

Isabella C. says:

Happy to be a member of the RES-istance. 🙂

Hi all 🙂

I understand your perspective and agree – do what you can and feel impelled to do.

For some people though, that is not appropriate, and there’s nothing wrong in that either.

Amanda says:

However, fierce resistance of the sort I am seeing (and the sort that produces torpor) is only the first and crudest beginning of dialogue.

Amanda says:

Two hearts at war are two hearts engaged in dialogue and some sort of listening and comprehension is required if there is to be resolution.

There are many hearts at war here.

Amanda says:

I’m not in fierce resistance territory here. The issue is how do we make the best of a bad situation?

What actions can we take?

Amanda says:

And can we take those actions from a place of calm, unclouded by arrogance, fury or self-righteousness?

I see too much intensity in the whole situation at the moment.

It is a collective uprising of anger. The emotional energy is of rabble-rousing.

That’s on both sides. Roiting over a democratic choice? Something is wrong here.

Amanda says:

So sure, doing what we can. But acting blindly from anger only contributes to the general sense of destabilisation.

Which is why sticking firm to daily life and not allowing the political situation to dominate our thoughts is, to me, the best solution for now.

Amanda says:

Isabella, I couldn’t agree more with your remarks about facts and reality.

And using reality and facts to sort through the ‘post-truth’ weirdness is vital.

But allowing myself to get caught up in the orchestration of anger brought about by Donald Trump’s tweets? Falling for it?

No way.

I’d rather keep my emotional balance and strike when it counts.

Amanda says:

Sorry for the general length of comments! I’m still finding how to explain it best.

Amanda says:

In short, I don’t want to see the people I love emotionally manipulated in this way.

I want to see them happy and getting on with their work – all the RES humanity and common sense in place – without being snatched off into anger, frustration, debate, despair and indignation – and thereby feeding into the emotional manipulation.

And I won’t do it to myself either 🙂

Amanda

Zofia says:

The RES instance! Lol.

Brittany says:

AMANDA, I could kiss you on both beautiful cheeks! Nice to read your comments today, ma’am!