Initiations, Attunements, and Transmissions. Inappropriate Now?

Initiatons

Initiations? Since we live in The Age of Awakening, are initiations still necessary?

Initiations, Attunements, Transmissions — all of these were sacred in the Age of Faith. By now… Have they become obsolete? Inappropriate? Even, to some degree, dangerous?

Because now we’re living in The Age of Awakening. Based on different rules. Humankind has been given a new vibrational freedom. Resulting in unprecedented ways to evolve.

In this article, let’s explore how to safeguard your personal growth and spiritual awakening. Controversy alert: I’ll be sharing some stories that may shock you.

First, though, some background.

Are Initiations Astral or Divine?

During the New Age Years (1980 to 12-21-12), all of us became energy sensitive. At least, all of us who chose spiritual awakening. If we wanted energy awareness, we got it.

Which made it more important than ever to discern different vibrational frequencies.

• All forms of energy awareness are not equal. Though you wouldn’t know it from today’s enthusiastic energy talk.
  • In The New Strong you can read a systematic explanation of confusions that are common now. Confusions about astral versus Divine. And how to sort all this out. That book is really your best, most helpful resource for background to this article.
  • Otherwise, you might just take a quick peek at this blog post on earth’s three vibrational frequencies, human and astral and Divine.

All that said, why explore Initiations, Attunements, and Transmissions?

Because Lately We’ve Been Quizzing about Co-Creating with the Divine

And if this topic matters to you, might I suggest that you check out these recent blog posts?

1. Co-Create Healing. A Quiz.
  2. Divine Co-Creation ANSWERS for Better Energy Healing.
  3. And note that comments from you Blog-Buddies may be the best part of any blog post!

For instance, about trusting in the Highest, Blog-Buddy JNANA wrote that this might no longer be spiritually safe. Since, in this Age of Awakening, “an astral being can hoodwink us quite easily with the removal of the veil.” She continued:

“That word ‘initiation’… Alarm bells or not?

“It is still being offered in the religion I come from along with mantras, kriyas etc. I just hope there is no astral infiltration.”

So, yes, I’ll do my bit to respond to JNANA’s heartfelt concern. A concern you may share whatever your religious upbringing.

Initiations in The Age of Faith

Religious and spiritual initiations have a long and beautiful history. And not just within Hinduism, JNANA’s religion. Christian baptism is a kind of initiation. You may think of many other examples, Blog-Buddies.

Whenever initiations carried true spiritual power, steeped in sanctity, they mattered greatly. Given the veil, an ordinary person needed help from a priest or guru. Otherwise, connecting to the Divine was unlikely. During that Age of Faith, we spiritual seekers depended on religious traditions. We looked up to authorities.

This was especially true during the transitional years leading up to the Age of Awakening. Maybe you remember a series of posts here, years ago, on the great world gurus.

Versus now! What’s happening? Ordinary people can learn to co-create with the Divine. We just need to learn skills.

Meanwhile, many initiations today promise Divine connection. But sadly, they deliver astral connection. Or otherwise manipulate trusting spiritual seekers.

Un-Doing a Bunch of Revolting Initiations

During the New Age Years, my client Joe was seeking God by taking one workshop at a time. As my client, he asked me to move out the energetic impact of many initiations from these workshops.

Facilitating Joe’s sessions of RES Energy Healing… was an education to both Joe and me. What really went on, energetically, during these initiations? One was especially memorable to me.

After all the high-minded talk and lofty promises, what happened in the initiation room? The “spiritual teacher” invoked a large blue snake. Then she linked it to the auras of Joe and the other initiates.

Of course, all this astral connection could be broken. And was. Long story short, once unencumbered from these awful astral entanglements, Joe moved into Enlightenment. Age of Awakening Enlightenment!

Initiations, Attunements, and Transmissions

Often Link Spiritual Seekers to Astral Sources

During the New Age Years, many spiritual seekers received initiations-that-weren’t-called-initiations. New words became fashionable. Such as Reiki “attunements” and channeled “transmissions.”

By whatever name, what mattered about such practices?

Sadly, secrecy was usually involved. Sometimes outright lies.

For instance…

Energetically What Happens in Reiki Attunements?

Before I proceed, please know that I used to love doing Reiki. Praised it in my first book for empaths. You see, I received quite a bit of instruction and attunements. Just stopping short of becoming a Reiki master.

Why stopping short? Because even at my most enthusiastic, during the New Age Years, I knew I already had a different work to do. And it was in energy spirituality, not energy medicine. (Reiki is a form of energy medicine. As for Rosetree Energy Spirituality, RES, well… you know.)

My Reiki masters were wonderful, including impeccable integrity. However, there’s plenty they didn’t explain. (Probably just repeating how they, themselves, had been taught.)

Vague explanations for Reiki attunements were given. Like this one, from a Reiki website:

“The attunement energies will flow through the Reiki Master and into the student. These special energies are guided by the Higher Power and make adjustments in the students energy pathways and connect the student to the source of Reiki.”

Translation, Please!

With every Reiki attunement, a new astral being enters your Personal Guidance Team. An angel, yes. Not a Divine being. Higher Power, not Highest Power.

Do you really want to collaborate with an astral being? One who may not be nearly as evolved spiritually as you. An astral being who hasn’t been properly introduced as such. An astral being who is rewiring your “energy pathways”?

My best understanding is this. When you give Reiki, you’re co-creating along with your Reiki angels. Sending astral energy through your human hands.

Recently a lovely Reiki master, Gladys, asked me to research what was going on with her when she performed an attunement. Since, quite typically, she hadn’t received many precise answers during her training.

So I used the skill set for Consciousness Positioning Consults™. Were the results impressive? Let’s just put it this way. Many collaborations with angels turn funky in these early years of the Age of Awakening. Gladys decided she would stop giving Reiki attunements.

Initiations, Attunements, and Transmissions — Beware

Bottom line: Meaning no disrespect to people involved in giving any of these, here’s my advice. Just say no.

Neither you nor I nor (probably) they… have any idea of what’s going on vibrationally.

I’ll just give you one more example, in closing. An example that dates from 1969, when I was initiated into Transcendental Meditation.

During our preparatory lecture, we were told almost nothing about the initiation ceremony. When my initiator Terry Gustafson did the puja (a beautiful ceremony from Hinduism. But not so beautiful if you’ve been lied to about what is involved), I felt terribly uncomfortable.

An overwhelming thought kept repeating deep in my awareness. “These are not my people.”

Trying to explain my misgivings to Terry, before I went home, he didn’t help. Actually, he asked if I’d been smoking pot recently. (Laughing. Now.)

More helpful was talking to my friend Donald, who was initiated on that same day at the Cambridge TM Center. Donald soon became my first husband. His gift set for aura reading is different from mine. Very strong on the clairvoyance aspect. So he told me, to paraphrase…

What Really Happened in that TM Initiatiation?

“During the puja, my initiator must have been singing the names of different masters from Maharishi’s tradition within Hinduism. Because a whole parade of these Enlightened masters entered the room. Throughout my initiation they stood alongside my initiator. Standing in their bodies of light.

“The last one to come in? It was the same guy in the painting on the altar. Maharishi’s teacher, Guru Dev.

“And when my initiator spoke out my mantra, Guru Dev was speaking along with him.”

When Is a Secret… Really a Lie?

In the Catholic church, they’re called “sins of omission.” Not telling an important part of the truth can amount to a lie.

Over the next decade, I was to witness more of that from the guru I followed. And served. And adored.

Omitting to tell the truth about TM initiations was a pretty small lie, actually. When compared to some others from Maharishi. Most notably, ever hear that the TM mantras are just “meaningless sounds whose effects are known.”

As if! Each TM mantra is the name of a Hindu god.

After years of devoting my life to teaching TM, I found a website that explained which mantra corresponded to which Hindu god. Evidently when I initiated my father, I set him up to chant the name of Shiva.

Not that there’s anything wrong with pursuing Shiva as your chosen ideal. If you choose that ideal. Of course, my father did not. Nor did I have a clue when I initiated him into TM, or when I initiated hundreds of other people.

Look, Maharishi did what he had to do. I’ve long since forgiven him the lies. And respected the powerful work that he did achieve in the world.

As a spiritual-teacher-in-training, I learned so much from him. Some beautiful things to do. And some other things not to do.

In Conclusion

For me, the takeaway is simple. In RES there’s no lying. Nor secrets. Nor initiations.

For you, Blog-Buddies, might I suggest? Think long and hard before you accept initiations, attunements, or transmissions.

Mantras and kriyas and other techniques for personal development? Before leaping in, you might research the energetic impact of traditional practices. (In an RES session, I can help you do this from several different angles.)

However you choose to practice Post-New-Age consumer smarts, do it! You’re not living in the Age of Faith, right?

What about songs of praise, like traditional bhajans. They’re beautiful. Just know whom you’re singing to, right? Same with prayer. Potentially, these are ways to co-create with God. So be smart about it.

Jnana says:

It would seem to me that New Age initiations are linked directly to the astral.
    The same can’t be said for initiations from religious traditions.

Jnana says:

A friend once asked a temple priest if the Shiva mantra would make a person poor. His response?

“Yes, shhh.”

Jnana says:

I vaguely recall being told the impact of worship of certain deities. You don’t play with this one. If you do (lapses in your worship), you get immediate brickbats).

Jnana says:

Apparently Krishna was fine. Highly tolerant. But I never did like him. Him with all them gopis.

I only found him respectable in his role in the Gita.

Jnana says:

It seems to me that while a religious initiation may have undesirable, even painful consequences, at least nothing is at astral level.

Rose Rosetree says:

Thanks for these wonderful comments, JNANA.

Personally I’ve researched plenty of clients’ religous practices and initiations, and often it has been highly, highly destructive.

In a future post I’ll play an audio recording of some research that I did with one volunteer….

Rose Rosetree says:

That Comment #4 did bring on a big smile. After all, JNANA, I know you. Of course you would have that reaction!

Lilian says:

Him with all them gopis.. lol. I can imagine this is how monotheism came about…

Of course there is one “source”, but then people must have gotten fed up with understanding what’s what with all the divine beings.

Lilian says:

“Omg, all these cults are confusing, let’s just do God the Father, then one avatar, at most. All those who want to get through the father must go through the son, one son, that’s that. Final revelation. End of..” lol. (Of course Judaism and Islam don’t have an avatar, but scripture and tradition.)

Lilian says:

It’ll be good to know how the basic Christian sacraments impact us: baptism, communion and confirmation, church weddings even…

Gabrielle says:

Rose, thanks for this post. It’s extremely important.

When I first discovered I was “energy sensitive” (as I thought of it then) I did google searches and learned about Reiki and chakra balancing and probably a few other things I didn’t understand.

Gabrielle says:

I mentioned it to someone and asked her about Reiki (she had some knowledge of it) and she said something along the lines of be careful – you don’t want everyone’s energy. I had no clue.

And that was enough for me to not consider it further.

Gabrielle says:

She then told me about the Pathways expo and that’s where I met you.

My exploration phase didn’t go past the internet, so I can consider myself fortunate that my learning started with you.

Gabrielle says:

This post also reminds me of why energy street smarts are needed.

I was listening to a webinar and this woman who’s primary service offering is around money skills casually mentioned she’s a “little woo-woo” and that she uses her intuition to help people in sessions.

Gabrielle says:

It sounded to me like multitasking in consciousness and doing something without being forthright about what it is she’s actually doing.

I appreciate the integrity in RES. Permission is always a part of the process. It’s so important.

Rose Rosetree says:

LILIAN, thanks for all your comments.

About the #10, you can read about the impact of some religious ceremonies in “Aura Reading through All Your Senses.”

You know, that’s the one with over 100 techniques, and comments on the energetic impact of everything from sniffing the Crown Chakra of a baby to what I observed in a marriage ceremony.

Lilian says:

Thanks Rose. Blog posts do help put what’s in your books in context.

Rose Rosetree says:

Perhaps you, or one of you other Blog-Buddies with a religious background, would like to have a session where you gain clarity about one or more religious passages.

Just let me know at the start of your session and away we’ll go.

Spiritual Path Consults™ in action!

Rose Rosetree says:

GABRIELLE, all your comments here are wonderful. I’m especially interested in #14.

Very New Age years, to think we’re “here for a reason” and have an obligation to do healing on the side.

And I think what you wrote about this in Comment #15 is absolutely correct.

Rose Rosetree says:

For you, and others, who know about The New Strong and its Program for Easy Vibrational Balance… obviously!

New rules in The Age of Awakening are broken by doing that kind of “healing.” And the fact that intentions are good doesn’t prevent the negative consequences from unfolding.

So good catch, GABRIELLE. 🙂

Isabella C. says:

Baby crown chakras, yummmmmm!!!

Julie says:

This really makes the case for getting cleared up from past entanglements.

Ones that, for me, must surely have been astral, although proclaimed as divine.

Julie says:

It also raises the question of what is really involved, when so much is unsaid (and likely also unknown) by the initiator, healer, transmission person, activator.

Julie says:

Good intentions, how far do they go? At least as far as blue snakes, or another equivalent(:

Julie says:

It is sobering to consider that even though an affiliation is over in objective reality, the astral parade may still be going on.

Julie says:

The search for God or evolution or living one’s full potential or being a part of something bigger than oneself…could have unintended consequences.

Julie says:

It reminds me of a quote by author Carson McCullers:

“Maybe when people longed for a thing that bad the longing made them trust in anything that might give it to them”.

Rose Rosetree says:

Wonderful comments, JULIE. Regarding your #25, I think it’s pretty safe to make both these statements:

*** In the absence of effective energy healing, the astral parade IS still going on.

*** That astral STUFF, impacting emotions and spiritual growth, can always, always, always, always be healed.

Great post Rose.

This reminds me that I have some “healers” on my list of energetic relationships to clean up.

Julie, I love that quote–it is so true.

David B says:

You raise some great points, Rose. I’ve always been leery when they invoke mystical explanations for key aspects of a technique.

Myself, I consider the guru puja quite appropriate for learning meditation and enjoyed the experience.

David B says:

The bit about the mantras being the names of gods is a red herring though. If you study Sanskrit, for example, you’ll find that every letter of the alphabet is associated with a god.

That doesn’t mean you’re invoking gods when you talk about dinner. Same with mantra. If there isn’t an intention to invoke a god, it will not be evoked.

David B says:

What you are evoking is specific kinds of effects. For example, Om and Aum are both renunciation mantras that will tend to cause relationships and possessions to fall away. Not suitable for householders.

In my research, none of the TM mantras was associated with Shiva, so I suspect that’s a misunderstanding. Most are associated with feminine forms and arise from the science of mantra within Tantra.

David B says:

But I agree there were omissions. For example, the Shankara tradition teaches techniques that do evoke chosen forms of God. TM takes the more secular Tantra approach where the mantras are used for specific effects instead.

Those same mantras are also associated with parts of the body, gender, direction, and various other things that are only relevant in how they’re being used.

David B says:

Mantra is a complex science with a deep association with the flow of nature itself. It’s the way it’s being used, given, and so forth that can cause problems if applied incorrectly.

Morgan says:

Rose – does a person have to do anything to clean up one’s aura if they have been sent Reiki healing energy unaware and/or unasked for?

Rose Rosetree says:

KYLIE, you’ve got plenty of company there. 😉

Rose Rosetree says:

DAVID B, thanks for sharing the other side of a very controversial topic.

Blog-Buddies, you can have a merry time researching both sides of this story on Google. Personally, I don’t want to get into a long conversation about this. And let’s be clear. My goal is not to attack TM.

Giving just my perspective, I’ll make a few points.

Rose Rosetree says:

Regarding #31, I’d say the context for imparting a mantra is clear when the initiator just brought a host of Hindu masters into the room (unannounced to the initiate).

Also, some advanced techniques in TM include language in Sanskrit that means “I bow down to [the name of the Hindu god given during initiation].”

Not, “I bow down to a Rorschach ink blot.”

Rose Rosetree says:

DAVID, I also loved doing pujas. And initiating people. Which I did from 1971 through 1986, helping to run TM centers in many parts of the U.S. I put my whole heart and soul into this. It was my life.

However, I was quite appalled, in 1991, when I encountered info online about the Hindu gods associated with different mantras. Because, to me, it was a terrible lack of integrity to not disclose this info to my initiates.

Although Maharishi had given me no choice, since he also withheld that knowledge from me and everybody who studied on my courses with him. Neither telling us on my Teacher Training Courses nor during a load of Advanced Training Courses that I took with him personally.

Rose Rosetree says:

Also, it seemed to me that TM became a cult. Maybe not in 1969, when I first met Maharishi, but by 1973 or so. And I sure needed to exit TM, not merely stop meditating.

Otherwise, I loved teaching TM for as long as I did it. And I do understand that there are two sides to this question, are TM mantras the names of Hindu gods?

Incidentally, I double-checked at one of those websites, and in my main post I goofed. Because I assigned Kali to my Dad, not Shiva. That’s how much I personally am an “expert” about whether, unknowingly, I connected up my initiate with Krishna or Saraswati or whichever Divine Being from Hinduism.

Rose Rosetree says:

MORGAN, regarding your Comment 35, please don’t worry about that. You don’t have to be an energy-clean-up perfectionist to get to Enlightenment.

What does matter is to properly cut the cords of attachment to every teacher and healer with whom you have studied.

Just because of the dynamics within those cords! In no way do I mean to insult people associated with different spiritual paths and mind-body-spirit modalities. When I think of some of the Reiki masters I’ve known, for instance, they’re impeccable in their integrity, pure-hearted, altogether an inspiration.

Rose Rosetree says:

Before I had trained an RES experts, I helped clients sometimes with the Healing Centerpiece of cutting their cord of attachment to me.

I fondly remember one cord item from a client in India, for whom Shiva was the chosen ideal: “She’s like Shiva, but scarier.”

Oh, my client and I both had a big laugh when I read that out loud, during our session.

Explorer says:

Thank you Rose!

This is great validation as to why I so strongly shied away from so many New Age energy practices.

Explorer says:

I completed my Reiki levels and became a “Master” but never practiced it.

The whole thing felt incredibly uncomfortable.

I struggled to “logically” explain and maybe even justify my discomfort only to feel even more spaced out and brain fog.

….until I discovered RES and you 🙂

Explorer says:

I find that re-reading your books helps me even more.

Savoring every word, taking my time with great self love and respect.

Enjoying my body, my mind and my human life.

(Big Hugs)

Lilian says:

Comment 27: Julie, that quote does seem to capture our times.

It would be great to read sociology studies of the shift. To see patterns of behaviour across the population.

Lilian says:

Personally, that time made me suddenly thing I had to rework my life and “go seek”. And if people are seeking something, they’ll find something… hammer seeks nail.

“She’s like Shiva, but scarier.” Hee hee hee!! I love it!

Lindsey says:

Thank you Rose! And thank you all for sharing in this post! Very helpful information. 🙂