Shiny New Joy. 10 Ways to Find It

Shiny New Joy

Shiny New Joy. Would you like some today?

Shiny new joy? It’s all around you. Within you, too. Let me get you started finding some today. Whenever you like!

You’re used to seeing the occasional present. Official goodies in boxes! Sometimes signalized by shiny, colorful paper and a bow.

When you get such a gift, it’s easy to figure out: Aw, somebody bought you a present. Maybe expensive! Shiny new joy might be inside.

Yet your day can be filled with gifts. Not passively recognizable, either. Just because an official gift has been given you by somebody else — that’s what I mean by passive. How about the gifts that you actively discover for yourself? Here are 10 easy ones to find.

Psst, In Advance. The Beauty Part

Deeper perception, are you into that? Maybe, just maybe, you know that I am. 😉

Well, here’s what I love about all the following forms of shiny new joy.

They’re not deeper perception at all. Instead, you’ll find them right on the surface of life.

And yet, you could use any one of them for deeper perception as well. For Technique Time, even. Here’s how.

Schedule 5 or 10 minutes of your day’s Technique Time. Choose one of these forms of Shiny New Joy. Then sit and close your eyes and play with it. Because you can unwrap that Shiny New Joy by playing with it in silence. Or making a loud noise about it with your own imagination.

Try it for yourself. Just don’t try hard. Don’t try at all. Simply play.

Shiny New Joy #1: Hello!

In the first light you see every morning… Look for the gold.

Could that be God’s calling card?

Shiny New Joy #2: Any Part, Any Part at All

Choose one part of your body to move. Or one muscle. Then move it a few times.

Up and down. Or on and off. However you like.

It’s a button-free, tech-free miracle. Okay, this free will of voluntary movement has been hardwired into your body. But it’s still totally easy for you to play with.

As a kid, you probably played this game a lot. By contrast, with each passing decade you’re less likely to move body parts just for fun.

Instead, confirmed adults need a reason. Why need a reason. Except for the reason: Have fun.

Shiny New Joy #3: Hold On!

The fun of human-based spirituality is all the surprises. Including obvious, obvious things you may take for granted.

Yet do they have to be so everyday, lackadaisical, who cares obvious?

It’s really quite amazing that you can hold something physical that’s not your body.  You can:

• Choose it.
  • Grab it.
  • Hold it as long as you wish.
  • Enjoy having it.
  • Let it go completely.

Most fun of all, not just with your whole hand. Do this with part of one hand. Or with a foot, etc.

Shiny New Joy #4: The Basket You Take for Granted

You also carry a basket. A hidden basket.

It’s called “Your lap.”

When’s the last time you did this? Experimented by holding as many things as possible onto your lap, until all of it starts falling off.

As good as Jenga! Maybe better.

Shiny New Joy #5: Making Pictures

“But I’m not an artist.” Hey, no but-but-buts. I’m not gonna dangle the prospect of joy at you and then flick it away.

Here’s a way that you can definitely make many pictures today.

First, find a picture. Meaning, something that would make a nice picture. A great photograph. Or a painting. Or, maybe a quilt.

Then take a second to enjoy it. Frame your work of art between two blinks of your eyes. There’s your picture to enjoy.

Afterwards, will you magnify the joy by taking a picture? Sharing on Facebook. Instagramming it?

Up to you, of course. But might I suggest?

If we’re too busy sharing, we just might forget to share with ourselves.

Note: About Spiritual Awakening

Spiritual awakening is not, in my opinion, a group experience. You find it for yourself. Maybe within yourself, nice and easy. Maybe find that joy outside yourself.

What makes your discovery qualify as joy? Simpy because you happen to like it.

Did you know? That tiny “Yes” inside, it’s good enough to count. To count for A LOT.

Shiny New Joy #6: Like a Rainbow, Maybe Better

Do you brake for rainbows? I sure do. Maybe you read about that recently.

You might call that a God-given rainbow.

Well, what about a human-given rainbow? (Some of you Blog-Buddies might remember the joy-filled term “Human-Based Spirituality.” Well, that’s what this whole article is about, right?)

Here’s how to put together a human-given rainbow:

1. Look around where you are. Find one color you like.
  2. Make a picture of it. (Hint: Seek our Shiny New Joy #5.)
  3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2.
  4. Accumulate a whole bunch. And not necessarily seven of them either.

Incidentally, next time you see a real rainbow, note that you can find way more than seven colors. Way, way more.

Why is it that we grownups learn ideas like “Seven colors in a rainbow” and then notice the idea for the rest of your lives. The idea, not the reality. As if checking off boxes.

“A rainbow. Let’s check the bona fides. Okay, it has seven colors. Passes inspection. Next.”

Where’s the wonder in that?

Shiny New Joy #7: Yawning

Just about any time you’d like to relax, try yawning a couple of times.

Okay, not every time. Like when shaking hands with the president of your company.

Otherwise, though, it’s great. Yawning can really help you relax.

Start with a fake yawn. Repeat.

Soon that fake yawn will turn into a real one. Maybe surprisingly soon.

Feels good all over your body. Feels good while you’re yawning, if you welcome it. Also yawning feels good afterwards.

And you can do this any month of the year. Not only Yawnuary. 😉

Shiny New Joy #8: Clean It

Clean something. Sometimes it’s so easy and quick.

Then that old thing is shiny all over again. Shiny as if it were new.

Shiny New Joy #9: Inside

If you think about it, having shelter is a miracle. An everyday miracle.

Go outside. Explore.

Then come back inside. Feel secure and relax, with that special steady feeling of being home.

Even cave men found places that were sorta inside.

Shelter is where you find it.

If yours is lovely, don’t take it for granted. Easy! Just go out and then come back inside.

Shiny New Joy #10: Unwrap a Smile

Don’t waste this opportunity. Notice when somebody smiles.

Meaning, a real smile.

Obligatory smiles are okay, like the social smile that’s supposed to go with a handshake. Or a posed smile for a selfie.

But the real ones are the little surprises that light up a face. When you’re lucky enough to find that in someone near you, watch that sunrise.

BTW, don’t count the ones you see on TV. Scripted show or reality show, that’s a display.

Could be, you see more entertainment each day, and more smiles on advertisements, than you see actual people. I mean actual people, ones not performing. Folks like us, we do smile spontaneously. And that just might be the greatest show on earth.

Now It’s Your Turn

What are some of your favorite ways to find joy. Nothing’s too silly. Not for this blog post!

How have you found Shiny New Joy lately? Share, please.

Lilian says:

Yay, something more fun.

Yes to rainbows, yawning and letting yourself feel some random energy with hands. 🙂 And real smiles.

Rose Rosetree says:

LILIAN, you’re so funny.

You’re just joking about the idea of “letting yourself feel some random energy with hands”.

Right? Right?

Ruby says:

I love this. Just what I needed to read right now!

Sandra says:

I was with my 89-year-old father this morning. He was going through his collection of tools he has had for many years, telling me stories about many of them. Giving me a few.

Each one is a treasure. I look at them and smile.

Liane says:

Closing my eyes and smelling rain.

The daily ritual of sweeping my kitchen floor.

Smiles, rainbows, making pictures, all so joyful!

Lilian says:

Actually,yes. That was just me being nostalgic for the time I discovered that. I also remember my sense of excitement at as a teenager with a sense that “everything” might change soon.

I had no idea what that might be, but it wasnt just the prospect of leaving my family, or political change or anything… I couldn’t grasp it.

Lilian says:

My main source of fun is talking. Especially as I’m often around people who take themselves super seriously… it’s fun to confuse people with some chatter.

Rose Rosetree says:

LILIAN, I like talking too. Although, personally, my sense of fun is based on telling the truth (as I understand it).

Since you’ve shared this very personal comment, and since we both know you’re writing under an alias, let me ask you this.

When you have fun confusing people with your words, how seriously do you think they take you?

Rose Rosetree says:

Thanks as well to Ruby, Sandra, Liane.

Such wonderful joy perspective.

Liane, isn’t it fascinating how a good smell is enhanced if you close your eyes? No competition!

Today I have some shiny new big joy, because I got a job!

For a shiny smaller joy: making faces/trading smiles with a small child on the bus for a whole 30 minute ride.

Spending time with friends. Talking! Definitely one of life’s shiny joys. Looking at bodies of water. Riding the subway. Listening to the house finch outside my window.

Lilian says:

Sorry, I’m always sincere and try to make people smile with a bit of banter. Rather than saying “confuse” I guess providing a bit of mental diversion is what I meant.

The fun is with figuring out what works with who.

Lilian says:

It’s fun creating unexpected sparks of communication. It’s different for every person and every situation.

That’s my primary joy in life.

Rose Rosetree says:

Ha, these last two comments sound more like you, LILIAN!

Thanks for the clarification.

Rose Rosetree says:

KYLIE, what a big chunk of good news in your Comment #10.

For someone in your field to leave a job, move to a completely new city and then get a new job — wow! This sure took guts, and I’m delighted to learn that your chutzpah is paying off.

Thank you Rose! Guts or foolhardiness, I’m not sure which! But chutzpah has payed off!!

Chutzpah is a great word by the way “supreme self confidence, nerve, gall.”

I can say that what allowed me to have this kind of chutzpah was knowing that:

1) my name is aligned with my soul and likely to get me an interview and

2)my auric modeling thanks to so many RES sessions would help me to do well in an interview.

3) I knew myself and my talents.

In two months I did get 3 interviews for professional jobs, though I turned one down.

And I sailed through the final interview without nervousness or self-consciousness.

So, while from most people’s perspective I made a very risky choice, moving across the country without a job lined up, I made that decision with confidence knowing that I could pull it off.

An Avid Reader says:

Wow! Congratulations on the new job and the soul alignment, Kylie! So impressive!

Jnana says:

Water brings me joy.
    It came to me suddenly while in the pool. It is not the swimming I enjoy, but being in water. No wonder I can’t be bothered with laps. I’m happiest swimming slowly or floating on my back that I may better savor the magic of being in water.

Thank you Avid Reader!

Liane says:

Chutzpah. Fun word to say. That makes me happy!

Julie says:

Congratulations, Kylie! Knowing you as I do, I never doubted that you would pull it off; it was only a question of when.

Way to go!

Lilian says:

Hmm, I am sensitive to the fact that I can confuse people sometimes. But it’s still worth trying, even over the internet… :-p

Lilian says:

Kylie, awesome. Chutzpah does pay off. 🙂 Or else will turn us into old ladies that tell people stories at the bus stop.