Dick Bolles HELP. (Useful for You?)

Dick Bolles Help

Dick Bolles Help. Have you tried choosing career from Bolles’ bestseller?

Dick Bolles Help. The late career counselor offered help to the masses with his bestselling “What Color Is Your Parachute?” Can help like that really bring you success?

The question was raised by GILLIAN, who nominated Bolles for our recent Money Happy Contest.

She wrote:

I’m curious about him because the Parachute system he developed was very attractive to me for a long time. (Though it never worked for me, lol!)

But very briefly, Bolles believed that when people identify their natural talents and match them with smart job seeking, they can land up in positions that really use their inherent skills. He referred to it as one’s ‘calling.’

What I’d like to know is how rooted in reality he was personally.

The template he designed was a beautiful but very idealistic way of approaching money and career.

Thing is, it didn’t work for me. (And probably not for lots of others, either.) But Bolles himself did very well out of it, selling millions of copies of his book!

Dick Bolles Help. A Parachute Taking You Where?

Blog-Buddies, once upon a time I tried reading Bolles’ how-to book also. No help for me there. But, really, which career counselor or book could have told me? “Become the Founder of Rosetree Energy Spirituality (RES).”

Surprisingly, Dick Bolles Help…

Was influenced by Harvard University, where he graduated.

Later, he graduated from New York’s General Theological Seminary. Graduating as an ordained Episcopal minister!

So, GILLIAN, that does suggest a certain spiritual bent to his work. Right?

He does seem like a sweet guy! Here’s a link to some bio. There you’ll also find the Aura Photo of Dick Bolles that I’ll be using for tomorrow’s blog post. Meaning, an official Gaining Wealth Checkup by reading his Money-Making Chakra Databanks.

Today, I’m opening up a thread about your own experiences of seeking help from Bolles’ bestselling book. Or other career counseling books.

And do you think that it’s really possible to sit with the famous man’s book and find your own dream career?

Incidentally…

What about Soul Thrill™ Aura Research?

Has that practical kind of aura research made a difference for your career choices?

Blog-Buddies, I’ll lead off with some comments. Eagerly awaiting yours!

Rose Rosetree says:

From what I remember of Dick Bolles’ approach, there’s a great deal of practicality.

It’s one thing to emphasize spiritual-sounding talents. Something else to add practical info about preparing resumes and going on job interviews.

Rose Rosetree says:

By contrast, I think of another popular career counseling book. With a title I once believed in: “Do What You Love. The Money Will Follow.”

There’s an approach that could have been an anthem of the New Age Years. With all respect, quite possibly a serious mistake for people who would prefer to earn “coin of the realm.”

Mel says:

I think career counseling books can help if they have timeless applicable concepts. The last career book I read had this whole philosophy that you should forget about passion and focus on specializing in something valuable and unique and building up Career Capital which can help you gain more control over your career and responsibilities. Control, it said, is ultimately part of the elixir that creates work you love.

Gillianr says:

Great, Rose! I look forward to tomorrow’s post.

I loved doing the exercises in Bolles’s book. You have to compile lots of information into different areas (it’s quite scientific actually) and create a large flower diagram that gives you an overview of your ideal career field.

Gillian says:

The part where it all fell apart from me is when I tried to take my flower diagram and show it to other people to get suggestions for actual, real, concrete careers (as per Bolles’s advice).

Gillian says:

Boy did I get a huge variety of suggestions! But none of them quite hit the mark.

In the end, I realised I was just too idiosyncratic to fit into this system, much as I admired and liked it.

Rose Rosetree says:

What I wonder from your account, GILLIAN, is which people you asked.

Was a single one of them a professional career counselor with current experience?

Or were those people one of the following:

Rose Rosetree says:

1. Family members. No doubt brainy (your family, after all) but not knowledgeable about current career paths.

2. Friends. And what professions were they in? What did they know about other career paths?

Rose Rosetree says:

3. Neighbors or other random people, career-wise? (Having earned which qualifications to tell you how to put together employment aspirations?)

4. The Internet? (As if it could possibly tell you about appropriate forms of employment you’ve never heard of. How, precisely would you google that?)

Rose Rosetree says:

This is why it’s smart to invest in professional guidance. And from a career counselor. Not a psychic. Not your massage therapist.

Even RES Soul Thrill(TM) Aura Research is only as good as the research items you know to bring to it.

Today’s marketplace is changing so fast, with many opportunities becoming available that might not even have existed during your university days.

Rose Rosetree says:

Pulling together a range of talents, job experience, and bona fide career paths — that’s what career counselors get paid to do.

When you blamed the lack of results on being “idiosyncratic,” I just cringed, GILLIAN. All you were doing was the equivalent of trying to serve as your own dentist. 😉

Gillian says:

I’m afraid I’m a lot more sceptical than you are regarding career counsellors, Rose!

In my experience, people who are ‘on the ground’ know far more, and are far better informed, about real life possibilities than career counsellors who’ve had rather simplistic training that is mostly stuck in the past, sadly…

The experiences I’ve had with career counsellors have been very lacklustre and disappointing.

That’s true in the UK, at any rate. I think it might be quite different in the States.

Lilian says:

Ah, you just have to try with this stuff.

With what I do, you’ve got to talk to a lot of people and be prepared to figure a lot of things out via job interviews.

Valerie says:

I’m looking forward to the new post today Rose!

I remember this book, and although it did give me general ideas of career directions I might enjoy, nothing ever really seemed to resonate with me.

Valerie says:

Soul Thrill Aura Research has had a profound impact on my life. In the field of career, it has helped to find a job in which I grow as a person, specifically by learning to use my power at work, more and more.

I am respected now at my job, and appreciated.

I also enjoy going to work each day.

David B says:

I remember reading What Color. I enjoyed the book and it brought some perspective. But not enough to turn it into real world.

Later, I managed to get funding for a career testing service. A comprehensive set of tests that ended up pointing back to an old career goal.

David B says:

But it wasn’t a goal i knew how to get to.
    Much later in life, I realized what the testing had not recognized was the importance of temperament. They’d tested for it but not accounted for it in their recommendation.

Later, I took a test as part of another program. It wasn’t as good but it did bring that out.

David B says:

In the end, my work brought me to a place I’d screened out as the high school experience had been so negative.

Who’d a guessed. And it seems the experiences that unfolded meantime were all part of a grander process to get me here…