Quiet Destiny Matters, Too

Quiet Destiny

Quiet Destiny — don’t underestimate the power (and spiritual privilege) of NOT being famous

Quiet Destiny Matters, Too. When our 24/7 media proclaim intense drama, does that mean a quieter life doesn’t count for much?

Maybe quite the opposite!

Today’s post was inspired by Blog-Buddy VALERIE. Writing about the Lin-Manuel Miranda aura reading, here’s what VALERIE added to our conversation:

I really enjoyed the description of his connection to physical reality as finding himself on a date with his destiny. How lovely.

Who wouldn’t enjoy such a discovery? An electrical sense that “This really matters.”

Granted to few people though, probably. That degree of “I know my purpose and destiny.” Or “Right now my world is turning on a dime.” Or “God really is my GPS, so every step I take is obviously sacred.”

Loud Destiny, Grand Importance

“Rose, how can you write such a thing?”

I can almost hear the “But-but-buts” coming from some readers. Especially those of you who’ve been influenced by any of the following:

• Success stories of performers, like Oscar winners. (Their rags-to-riches movies. And their victory speeches.)
  • Mega-churches. The kind with ATMs in the lobby, to facilitate tithing. (Yes, that’s a real thing.)
  • New Age emphasis on passion and finding your purpose. (Always a money-maker for Hay House publishing.)

Sex sells. Well so does flaunting the hope of “You have a grand purpose. God knows what it is. Once you know, too, your life will become fulfilled.”

Bestselling author Rick Warren even dangles this big, glittery dream… one step removed. Supposedly, God knew your purpose before you were born. First of all, find that.

Then, maybe, you can become as rich as the mega-church pastor.

Hmmm, how likely is that? More likely, Rick Warren has become rich by promising something unattainable. A kind of religious security. Like a spiritual guarantee that your human life has meaning. Something worth praying for and paying for, again and again.

Quiet Destiny

Most of us score a quieter kind of destiny. And not as a punishment, either.

Because we don’t have handlers and dressers and a gazillion followers. Instead, we simply lead our complicated lives, one day at a time. Consequently we make our own choices.

And what we choose matters. Especially, what matters? What we do when it seems like nobody else is watching.

Have you ever had an experience of spiritual awakening? That isn’t Enlightenment yet. Rather a glorious step along the way.

However, even one minute of spiritual awakening can remind you…

Life matters, everyday life here at Earth School. Your everyday life really does matter. Not the flash and the splash of celebrity.

Ever Read This?

Clearly I’m no Bible scholar, but certain passages have stuck with me. And this is one of them:

But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen.

And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Gee, is no ATM there, in your closet? Don’t you have cheering crowds, perhaps as passionate as the entranced faces at a Trump rally?

Guess you don’t rate a really important destiny. (Kidding.)

Quiet Destiny. Such Beauty In That!

What if you have a quiet destiny, like me and most other people? What then? You might count it as a blessing.

Internal validation and self-authority can lead your way. Rather than big rah-rahs.

For me, two contrasting experiences illustrate this point.

First, a story about the rah-rah kind of destiny. Yesterday I heard a radio interview with Joshua Johnson on Studio 1A. Lecrae, a Christian rapper, said some wise things in his interview.

To digress just a bit, Lecrae pointed out that wealth and privilege explain a lot about how Christians vote.

• Financially comfortable Evangelicals have the luxury of choosing abortion as their signature issue as Christians.
  • While those who struggle financially pay more attention to something else. How Jesus talked about helping the poor, caring for people, helping others.

“Wow,” I thought! Especially since I’ve read the New Testament several times. Found plenty there about Jesus bringing a message to help other people, bringing kindness, even “love thy neighbor.” Found zilch about anti-abortion anything. Or hating homosexuals. Or any so-called “Rapture.” And especially, not a thing about worshiping him.

Anyway, back to Example 1 of 2…

Quiet Destiny Versus Public Destiny

Despite a great deal of wisdom, Lecrae veered into some icky terrain towards the end of his interview. Icky to me, that is.

He humble-bragged about how he shares everything about his struggles and pain. By showing his scars, he heals listeners. Supposedly.

Oh no! I don’t think that’s how effective healing happens in The Age of Awakening.

Instead, I think the pure-hearted gospel singer has gone a bit mega-destiny. Understandably, it’s hard to handle fame. Which you can read about elsewhere at this blog. Quite possibly, fame is the most addictive drug on the planet.

Carrying a noisy, public destiny? Sure can destabilize one’s sense of self!

By contrast, here’s Example #2

Because Important People Don’t All Have Big, Noisy Destinies

You and me, for instance. “Little people.” Whose lives are important to ourselves, and those whose lives we touch. Lives that can be beautiful in terms of spiritual evolution. Awesome, even, for making a very human contribution to life on earth.

I’m honored to share with you one of my treasured experiences. (Not one of my scars. Phew!)

Once upon a time, I was moved by a publication from “Joe,” a superb writer. Semi-famous. Not some big proclaimer of MY BIG, SHINY, SO-IMPORTANT DESTINY, LOOKEE HERE.

So I sent Joe a little email, just a paragraph. Expressing gratitude. Summarizing how Joe had moved me.

Really, nothing dramatic. You know, the kind of Aha! you might feel while in your inner room, your sacred chamber.

Shortly afterwards, Joe emailed me back. He told me that what I wrote moved him to tears. And he even concluded that this was one of the loveliest notes he’d ever received.

Why is it, Blog-Buddy, that a writer of such caliber doesn’t receive fan mail like mine on a daily basis?

While all around us, the fame machine grinds out massive and indigestible chunks of praise. So challenging for our hundreds of huge stars…

Doesn’t Joe, an acclaimed writer, have a big destiny?

Maybe not that kind of destiny. He’s not a household name, for instance.

Actually, from his email, I gather that Joe’s not that different from you or me. He has simply paid the price for his success. Lived each day as best he could. In the process he’s inspired me. And so many others. Even if they didn’t stop to send him adequate fan mail.

A quiet destiny? Not so shabby.

An Avid Reader says:

Loved this!

Liane says:

I’ll take my ‘quiet destiny’ any day. Somewhere in your book ‘Let Today Be A Holiday’, you suggest we live each day as if everything we do matters and is important to our human life. Even quietly. Especially quietly : )

Julie says:

I don’t have any yearning for fame, particularly. Just content right now to live on the ground floor of hard work, not glamorous but certainly satisfying.

And in areas of less satisfaction, to seek out different choices – choices of more reward and return on investment of time.

Isabella says:

Very inspiring, Rose, thank you.

I’ve loved how my life has unfolded so far. Though I’m not rich or famous and hardly ever use social media :)… I feel like my life is important.

Lilian says:

Totally, it is a privilege to be able to serve and not be in the spotlight.

Lilian says:

There are so many things I instinctively can’t be bothered engaging with.

I don’t know the drama I may have been through in previous lives, for example.

I just let myself do what I’m drawn to do. Even if it may not make a huge amount of sense to others.

Lilian says:

Many people would have stayed in the last job I was in, for example.

But I decided to leave for a much smaller company, in an area of research that won’t be in the spotlight for several years.

Lilian says:

Honestly, the chain of events in my life don’t make much sense to me. By this point I tend to roll my eyes at what comes up.

A train of thought I’ve been having recently is that I’m just a personality created by my soul to experience itself in certain ways. Who knows what axioms of consciousness my soul is experimenting with.

KayCee says:

Seems I’m always repeating: beautiful, meaningful and timely. Whispering thanks to all of you from the quiet. ?

KayCee says:

Apropos to share that I’m spending the holidays this year exactly how I want to!

A culmination of tweaks and opting out of obligations each year until I (think I’ve) got it right!

KayCee says:

A little visiting but, mostly, a private sacred honoring of what this season truly means to me. Alone time with my brain, some heart, and courage. (And a touch of decor.)

Just perfect!

Lilian says:

The thing is, sometimes we need to be willing to be in the spotlight, though. There’s a part of me that always prefers to hide. Though, sometimes that’s the wrong thing to do.

Though, as KayCee says, it would be great to have a decent amount of time to be with my brain and heart.

Lindsey says:

Oh, there you go again Rose, moving me to tears…just a few to inspire my quietly, important human life.

Thank you Rose, Liane, Julie, Isabella, Lillian and Kaycee for sharing here.

Lindsey says:

I too have, in the past leaned to living a life under the radar and stayed out of any kind of spot light most of the time.

It was safe and enjoyable.

However, I also see this lifestyle choice had its human challenges living as a householder and not as a renunciate.

Lindsey says:

One big problem for me, was to easily forfeit or avoid interacting with other people in human objective reality to avoid conflict, pain or rejection.

Lindsey says:

Thankfully, Rose’s RES skills have helped and are still helping me to live a more balanced human life.

This includes inserting myself more fully into all aspects of human life, especially with relationships within my family, friends and the ordinary daily human acquaintances at work and elsewhere and feeling safe and happy doing it. 🙂

Rose Rosetree says:

Awe! Now you’ve inspired me, LINDSEY. Thanks.

Valerie says:

Gosh, I enjoyed this post so much yesterday that I decided to enjoy it again today 🙂 Thank you for the inspiration.

A reminder to me that quiet can also be very powerful.

KayCee says:

Omigoodness, yes. There’s so much here for me, beginning with something I wanted to say to Lilian a week ago.

But I got too long and writing became a struggle. I’ve learned this usually means I’m still experiencing the thing I’m wanting to share.

KayCee says:

Meantime, like Valerie, I’ve enjoyed this post a few times – and nodded my yesses to every voice lovingly added here.

Quiet allows my growth to take hold. Powerful indeed.

KayCee says:

And, in the midst, I am achieving some long-held goals that I must credit RES for making possible.

I look forward to telling more about some of these rather momentous changes, if appropriate, in the future.

When words flow with ease…

When words flow

Rose Rosetree says:

Thanks for all your sweet comments, LIANE, JULIE, ISABELLA, LILLIAN, KAYCEE, and VALERIE.

Lilian says:

Hmm, I don’t know if being sweet is always the best way to describe me. Someone described me as an alpha female recently, which delighted me no end.

Lilian says:

Second guessing that can be super destructive, and narcissistic in a weird kind of way. I’ve been in that overly pensive place.

Lilian says:

It’s more about knowing your strengths and weaknesses and how to use them and what your motivation is.

I know I want to do good and it’s about putting my neck out just enough to achieve some goals. When that’s not necessary, then hurrah.

I guess, in the RES sense, it’s about clearing away “stuff” about power so it becomes a neutral aspect of life.

Liane says:

Lillian, I love you statement, “There’s no point not allowing yourself to be confident and doing what you can do.”

Never thought of it like that before. Allowing myself to be confident. I thought it was either you have confidence, or you don’t. Sometimes faking it through something difficult.

You’ve given me a new perspective. Thanks!

Lilian says:

You know, nothing would make me happier than to see wise and loving souls feel less torn up about doing their thing in this world, as they see fit, with the degree of exposure that’s right for them.

(Then I could hire them in the future and not have to work with noobs for the rest of my life.)

Lilian says:

Rose could tell you the gifts of your soul about confidence.

It’s interesting. Everyone has the soul gifts to deal with life’s more challenging aspects. Like helpful limbs. And Rose has the skills to polish these gifts up.