Hypnotized Against Your Will. Protect Yourself.

Hypnotized Against Your Will

Hypnotized Against Your Will? Not if you use the tips in today’s article.

Hypnotized Against Your Will. Can that happen? I used to think not. Then I learned better.

In minor, but significant, ways it can happen.

How can you be put into a hypnotic trance without your consent? When unscrupulous people purposely take advantage of how hypnosis works. (Explanation of that to come in today’s post.)

Later I’ll continue with another with a follow-up article. So that you can protect yourself better as a consumer.

But first of all, let’s be clear…

Professional Hypnotists Are Ethical

Unethical hypnotism isn’t done by professional hypnotists. We’re not the problem.

Personally, I’m proud to be a professional hypnotist. Officially I’m a Consulting Hypnotist who helps clients professionally. And also a Certified Instructor for the National Guild of Hypnotists (NGH). So I get to train new hypnotists as well.

Professional hypnotists like us follow a strict code of ethics. And, really, we’re nothing like those scary dudes you’ve seen. Hypno-villains in old movies or TV shows. You know, the sleazy hypnotist who swings a shiny watch at the unwitting subject. Saying in a creepy voice, “You are getting sleepy, sleeeeeeeeeeepy.”

In reality? Hypnotism is a distinct profession that helps real-life people to solve real-life problems. Totally consensual, that kind of hypnotism. Just like the distinctive kind of past-life regression that I facilitate. As you Blog-Buddies may know I’ve even taught them: Both, hypnotism and Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis.

Yes, I’ve taught these amazing skills. And plan to teach them again. Always in a manner that I call “Clean and Pristine Hypnotism Training.

Once you move into hypnosis, what then? The hypnotist gives you suggestions. And folks tend to believe them. Because in hypnosis we’re far more suggestible. Compared to functioning in the regular waking state of consciousness.

This is a really important point. And I’ll be coming back to it later in today’s article.

But what about unscrupulous people? Taking advantage of how easily people can move into hypnosis. And become way suggestible.

Hypnotized Against Your Will? Depends

We professional hypnotists wouldn’t dream of coercive hypnosis.

Actually, we tell clients they can’t be hypnotized against their will. Which is, mostly, true.

Hypnosis has levels of depth. Much like an elevator you might take to a subterranean series of parking garages.

You’d never move into depth hypnosis against your will.

However, you can be manipulated into shallow hypnosis. Against your will. Shallowly but effectively

Natural Hypnosis. How It Happens.

Falling into shallow hypnosis really is natural. Easy. Actually it happens often, as in the term “highway hypnosis.”

In highway hypnosis, you’re driving along a familiar route. Maybe going home. When you “space out” and somehow take the wrong exit.

Why do we sometimes fall into hypnosis? Because hypnosis is such an easy variation on the waking state of consciousness.

Just three things are necessary:

1. Physically, you’re doing something routine. Or even aiming to relax. Consequently your body is quite relaxed.
  2. Mentally, you’re aware. Not sleeping. Definitely not passed out. You’ve got natural, ever-changing thoughts and emotions. A flow.
  3. And you feel like yourself.

So, of course, people fall into light trances often. Including highway hypnosis.

Shallowly Hypnotized Against Your Will. How This Happens.

Suppose that you’re watching TV. Or enjoying streaming anything on your laptop or phone.

Think you might fall into a trance?

Hmmm.

1. Physically relaxed.
  2. Mentally aware.
  3. You feel like yourself.

Advertisers know about that. So do politicians.

I’m not talking conspiracy theory here. Simply how human brains work.

Why’s It a Problem? Being Hypnotized Against Your Will.

Problem is, then you’re suggestible.

Ever see a dopey commercial and think, “What a joke! Why would anyone in their right mind want to buy XYZ.”

Well, of course ads that you see often aren’t just jokes. Advertisers find those dopey commercials profitable. And why?

Because many viewers have moved into TV hypnosis, etc.

And then the advertiser can take advantage of how ridiculously suggestible people become. While in hypnosis.

Thwart Those Who Aim to Hypnotize You Against Your Will

Here are my favorite tips. I use them and you can too. When watching TV, or the equivalent:

1. Stand up every 15 min. Take a few steps.
  2. Better, move the whole time you’re watching. (Me, I wear a weighted vest. And move in different ways. So as not to bore myself. And yes, my husband has learned to handle it.)
  3. Avoid getting into a food trance. Eating while watching TV can set up a food trance. It’s actually easy to alternate attention to the show. With attention to the yummies parading into your mouth. So if you’re going to eat and watch TV, choose your shows carefully.
  4. Best to record shows and watch them, so you can skip over the commercials entirely.
  5. Talk back to any stooooooopid or pushy things that people say. In your own smartie voice, say out loud, “I sure do not believe that. I believe this.” Etc.

In conclusion, don’t act like a couch potato, period. Unless you want to live with dull consciousness. Influenced by others while you’re more vulnerable to their suggestions… than you ever have to be.

Tatiana says:

So interesting! Can’t wait for a follow up article to learn more 😊

Lilian says:

That s super helpful. Thanks.

I first learned this information from you, Rose, a couple of years ago. At that time, I used to watch a lot of Korean dramas or romance themed Netflix shows, binge watching several episodes at a time.

I also would eat a lot of snacks while watching tv. When I thought about what I was doing through the lens of hypnosis, I was pretty appalled.

Many of the shows I watched portrayed ridiculously archaic and unempowering views about women and about romantic/sexual relationships. I thought I was immune because with my conscious mind I know better. I uncomfortably kept watching, but starting limiting myself to two episodes at a time.

I started to put energy into spending my time in more active and conscious ways. The more fun I was having in my life, the less it appealed to me to watch large amounts of escapist tv.

Noticing how I felt before and after watching an hour or two of television, the more it became clear that during that time my own life and growth was “on hold.” If I spent a weekend mostly watching television, it felt the same as not having had a weekend at all.

I also noticed that after binge-watching, it was more difficult for me to engage with objective reality.

I’d feel out of it at work, or not feel “up” for errands I needed to do. Even conversations with friends would be less fun, because my consciousness felt dull, out of touch with what was interesting to me about my life.

At this point, I find that I’m happiest watching no more than 45 minutes of television at a time.

I don’t watch tv if I’m tired, and I’m selective about what I watch. I notice quickly if I am not enjoying myself while watching something, and I stop watching.

If I’m going to be hypnotized, I prefer it to be because I have consciously decided to go for a session of Soul Energy Awakening Hypnosis!

Jnana says:

Just so I’m clear.

Your weighted vest only comes into use for the commercials right? Not when the show is on?

Leo says:

Thanks for adding the above comments Kylie. It’s made me reconsider some of my TV watching habits.

Wonderful comments, Blog-Buddies!

In response to your question, JNANA, I put on my weighted vest and ankle weights to get exercise. Makes my tiny workout a bit less tiny. And, yes, I keep this on until I’m done.

Ethan says:

Thank you Rose for this interesting and education post-and thank you Kylie for sharing your experience.

It is making me think about my current tv habits for sure.

Lindsey Lorant says:

Thank you again Rose for sharing these great tips! This is so informative and helpful! I’m also happy to hear my out loud (and perhaps somewhat annoying behavior to my dear husband) television commentary has actually been beneficial to not slipping into this kind of hypnosis.

We also only watch internet tv with very limited advertising for the last decade. It really does make a difference to our lives in a very pleasant way! 🙂

Angie says:

Hahaha, funny you mention this, I already do that, reply back to the show and say out loud “wow, I really do not like this way of thinking, because… ” 😀

almost like to reassure myself (much to the dismay of my fellow auditors sometimes)

Angie says:

and because I have also passively found myself to take on some of the stuff that TV shows push down on you (many years back now), even very very passively.

I could even name a very famous TV show that was enjoyed by many, which chain-watching really did things to you and CHANGED you, scary isn’t it. It felt so innocent and just main stream.

Angie says:

I developed some ways to cope with a lot of things I found to not feel right almost like I’m “woo-woo” and not normal because I feel that way about them, and then, to come on your blog and to read that I’m not the only one really helps me think I am not that insane after all, and that I still am not that bad at trying to be more conscious about my own life, I admit I really doubt myself at times.

Thank you so much for helping me to feel sane again !

ANGIE, you’re welcome. Meet our entire, informal community of thoughtful, curious people who are committed to making their human lives work. Not taking on some woo-woo substitute.

Do tell, what is the name of the TV show that concerned you. And why did you come to the conclusion that it did things to people and changed them?

Angie says:

it did things to me, clearly, I felt I was changing, and my partner at the time confirmed that the binge-watching I was doing clearly affected me and my personality (it came up in arguments), that does make you think.

Angie says:

The TV show was “Friends”, which is adored by millions of people… It felt like I was being manipulated in a subtle way, thinking back on it 🙁 and I am not sure I appreciated,

it felt like something was a little “off” back then

Well, here’s an educational opportunity perhaps. How could we know for sure what was going on when you got out of whack from watching “Friends”?

Through an RES Energy READING session. Together we’d pull out some energetic holograms and I could give you precise info about the impact on you. Meanwhile, though…

Might I suggest that the negative impact, in that case, probably just came from binge-watching so much TV.

By contrast, just yesterday I did TV show research during a session with my long-term client JOE. He’s doing fine now, but right from the start of the session, it seemed that something was, well, out of whack. Essentially he kept asking questions with an astral sort of emphasis, like “What are the specific things a person could do, causing the person to attract Stuck Spirits?”

Angie says:

yes, I would fully agree, I think binge-watching in general is not so good and I don’t do it anymore. We have a cut-off around 2-3 episodes.

What show had Joe been watching regularly? A reality show about ghosts. In each episode a psychic teamed up with a researcher. As I understand his description:

The psychic would walk through a haunted house. Reporting on the various spirits, and going into minute detail about their stories; why they became ghosts, what they wanted now, what they looked like, how they kept busy, etc. Loads of specific details about individual astral beings.

Angie says:

I noticed that watching too many gloomy investigations (even scattered) shows was not very positive on me and I stopped. These days I dream watching pretty houses 🙂

Separately the researcher would interview the owners of the house, asking for details about dead relatives and the history of the property. Collecting factual details.

Then each episode would involve matching the two sets of info, where the human details were supposed to amazingly verify the work of the psychic. And then the psychic would advise the house owners about whether or not to move out of the house, because the spirits were harmful — in contrast to sweetly eccentric, or whatever. I suppose. (One would only hope that realtors and prospective house buyers never heard of this show!)

Joe was familiar with the distinction between human, Divine, and astral vibrational frequencies. Courtesy of the book on “The New Strong.” (An online workshop, complete with a Free Intro series, is also available.)

However, he got sucked into a show that glorified psychic perception. Especially convincing to him, apparently, was the claim — probably often repeated — that “You can be skeptical about the psychic work. Just watch to see all the validation of the psychic’s wonderful powers.” (Or whatever the line went. Definitely skepticism was emphasized.)

Perhaps the appeal to skepticism helped Joe to put aside all the knowledge he had about the seductive nature of psychic investigations.

Certainly we found quite a mess when we pulled out some energetic holograms from the last time Joe watched the show last week. Comparing several of his chakra databanks before turning on his favorite show versus what was happening while he watched.

Long story short, watching the show was beginning to tilt Joe towards being fascinated by the astral. Compartmentalizing, in a way, all that he knew about “Capture the Fort.” As discussed in this interview I gave with Rick Archer at his website about Enlightenment.

By the end of his session, Joe resolved to avoid this show in the future. A good choice, seems to me, as he cares a lot about spiritual development.

Gowri says:

Great insights, Rose, thanks for this post!