Power Versus Obedience. Which Do You Favor?

Power Versus Obedience

Power Versus Obedience. A light bulb just went off for me about this. Ready for some extra clarity?

Power Versus Obedience. After doing our new kind of aura reading, for TV Reviews, hello! I just might have some thoughts about personal growth, spiritual awakening.

Bigger thoughts than would fit into a TV show. But thoughts right-sized for today’s blog post, which follows yesterday’s Aura Reading TV Review.

If you like to make deeper perception practical… Because that can bring you more success, quite easily… Keep reading.

An AHA! about Power Versus Obedience

Yesterday we shared a Zach Woods Aura Reading TV Review. Where we examined that delicious creation, Zach’s character “Jared Dunn” on “Silicon Valley.”

In Comment #4, KYLIE observed:

This part [of the Aura Reading TV Review] made me laugh: “Because this cleverly designed character will do anything to get what he wants… Except for using normal power skills to say things and do things in order to get what he wants.”

I am always amazed when watching sitcoms how many characters will do anything except for using normal power skills! So many times I want to yell at the TV, “Just say what you want! Just tell the truth!”

We know that all TV shows, like movies and novels, require conflict.

But why is lack of power skills such a popular choice for conflict in our entertainment these days?

As I thought about this, a light bulb went off.

Power Versus Obedience. First of All, a Definition

Power means what? Saying and doing things to get what you want.

Skills come in because often they make all the difference, when attempting to use our power. Like if you choose to write a note to your roommate, that could be a power move. But what if you lack skills like:

• Legible handwriting
  • Spelling
  • Grammar and punctuation

Fat chance then, getting your roommate to do what you want! (At least, through that dubious power move.)

Writing an illegible, confusing scrawl on some paper? That lacks skill. Therefore, it lacks power.

Speaking of Power, Ever Notice?

Why is this blog about “Deeper Perception Made PRACTICAL”? Because practicality, skill, can help you to gain more power.

Specifically, deeper perception can bring interpersonal skill and power, like “The Power of Face Reading.”

Also, skills for managing how — and when — you choose to go deeper into perception? That brings personal empowerment within you. Like “Empath Empowerment in 30 Days.”

So much for outdated stereotypes (from the Age of Faith) that power requires force! Pushiness. Insensitivity. And maybe “a mind like a steel trap.” As if that’s supposed to be a good thing!

Continuing with Power Versus Obedience. Now, What’s Obedience?

Obedience means doing what you’re supposed to do.

And who is that higher authority? Could be:

• The church
  • Your parents
  • All your friends
  • Your spouse
  • The supervisor at work, a.k.a. “Your boss.”

Just about any boss will do, when it comes to demands for obedience. Just about any boss except for your own self-authority!

Which Brings Us to Power Versus Obedience NOW

Yes, NOW. Compared to other times in history!

We’re living in the still-quite-new Age of Awakening. (Called, by some New Agers, “The Aquarian Age of Awakening.” Or the “Aquarian New Age.”)

By contrast, before the Shift on 12/21/12, human beings lived in The Age of Faith.

All of us are still getting used to this Age of Awakening. When — guess what? We need to use personal power.

Because now that’s essential for spiritual evolution… and sometimes survival.

Seems to me, living now, we can evolve super-fast, provided that we avail ourselves of:

1. Wise personal choices, made with self-authority.
  2. Developing the skills for success that we desire.
  3. And require.
  4. Rather than waiting for everyone else to show us the way.
  5. Developing leadership is so different from perfecting obedience, a.k.a. followership. (Ick!)
  6. All we need now is one good teacher for each skill that we choose to learn.
  7. Finally, it takes guts to use independence and skill. Since they’re the opposite of obedience, aren’t they?

In Conclusion…

During the Age of Faith, Entertainment Was about Faith. Obedience!

For example, think of your favorite religious tradition.

What were the myths? How about the lessons you were supposed to learn from the scriptures?

Of course, that wasn’t about using your power! To the extent that people could get what they wanted, why did it happen? As a reward for obedience. As in “The Book of Job.”

When Age of Faith values were strong, what kinds of plays would you see for entertainment? Morality plays. And miracle plays. Along with mystery plays.

How much fun were they? Hint: No Sherlock Holmes. No Inspector Poirot.

Obedience-conflicts were lively during the Age of Faith. Whereas power-conflicts matter now. Of course! Aha!

So that’s why we encounter relatable, comic characters like Jared Dunn. As always, human beings laugh about what we’re struggling to learn. And living today, what we’re learning is how to use our personal power.

So, those are my light bulb thoughts. What are yours?

Zaybe says:

Rose, great post! In my younger years I definitely believed in the notion of ‘obedience to God.’

It has been a revelation to me, through RES sessions and reading this blog, to slowly begin to understand that God is really more than okay with me having wishes and desires and using my power to get what I want…

I love this post Rose. “Human beings laugh about what we’re struggling to learn.” So true!!

One of the things I struggle with as a teacher, is how many students are coming from an “obedience” perspective.

It leads to a very passive way of learning, and to students who want to be told “the answer.”

Olivia Swan says:

This was very interesting Rose. It reminds me of the connectedness of humanity.

Of how whether we know it or not, we help each other along on our journeys.

Olivia Swan says:

We have people in kindergarten and we have post graduates.

And even our films and television shows reflect the state of groups in collective consciousness.

Olivia Swan says:

Now that you point it out I can really see the movement from obedience conflicts to power conflicts. Even in my own observations of daily life.

People (at least where I live) aren’t interested in being told what to do or focusing on who’s the higher authority. They’re interested in using their power to express something, make a point, or influence a desired change.

Olivia Swan says:

Do you know what else I notice Rose that interests people more than being obedient to a leader?

It’s truth. Before acting, they question first if it’s aligned with their truth. I see it happening.

ZAYBE and KYLIE, your comments here inspire me. As for you, OLIVIA, you’ve really outdone yourself (and that’s having already set such a high standard for insights).

Now I’m so curious what other Blog-Buddies have observed about yourself, the people you work with, your friends, possibly even family members. Have you noticed what OLIVIA called “the movement from obedience conflicts to power conflicts”?

Gowri says:

Great post, Rose and very relevant to today as I see it.

I come from a background where a guru who is a guide is a central part of one’s evolution, which appears to be obedience, or trust.

Gowri says:

I see more of what Olivia is saying it is more of a trend and in some places in the world, it is slower than in others. I suspect the internet and spreading awareness is part of the change.

I think that Eastern cultures still tend to be obedience driven but I am seeing changes there too.

Jamie says:

I’ve watched the deeply engrained obedience mindset from the Age of Faith hold myself and many others back.

I would say my community is actually struggling the most with transitioning from obedience conflicts to even accepting that people can use their power.

Jamie says:

And when those of us actually DO use our power (ahem, me)…many people look at me shockingly.

Some wondering perhaps “who she must THINK she is?” and/or “how dare she?!”

Jamie says:

Sometimes this reaction still bothers me, but not how it used to because I never used to use my power!

Engineer Jesse says:

I view Jared Dunn as a character playing politics…sometimes situations may require finesse…though Jared Dunn seems to lack that as well…

M says:

Dear Rose, Thank you for sharing. Gave me a lot of food for thought.

Very best wishes

M, it’s lovely to read your first comment ever here at the blog. And I’m excited that your food for thought is being consumed in the Middle East (if that’s where you’re still living and working now).

I think all of us here at the blog would be fascinated to read anything more you would like to share. Do authorities still matter most, and does obedience to tradition still mean as much as it used to? Or are people making small steps — even big steps — to use their own personal power and self-authority?

ENGINEER JESSE, you’ve made such an interesting point in that Comment #14. Very often, when RES clients start using their power — a pretty common growth area among my clients lately — they don’t have much finesse.

You’ve had years to develop that. And, in my experience, that usually does take years. When a person first starts using self-authority and power, it can feel pretty raw. Well, too bad. The finesse will come. (Unless we’re fictional characters like Jared Dunn. Designed to stay pretty darned stuck!)

Olivia Swan says:

Jamie I understand your observations about other people’s responses to you using your power.

I used to think about that too.

Olivia Swan says:

But as time passes you will also observe that (even though it doesn’t matter what people think about you!) people will become accustomed to you using your power and their respect for you will increase immensely.

Olivia Swan says:

Not only that Jamie, but you can act as a role model in your community for teaching people to use their power!

Zaybe says:

Just to say, ref comment #16, M, I too would absolutly love to hear more about how you perceive these power/obedience struggles in your culture.

Jnana says:

I’d never have worked out that I could choose power over obedience.

Jnana says:

It’s funny how every time I used power, I would feel so good.

Obedience made me angry, resentful.

Jnana says:

And yet with power would come feelings of guilt, the feeling that I was a bad person.

If not for RES, I would still be feeling guilty every time I used power and would have settled for obedience no matter that my soul was screaming at me to choose power.

Helen says:

I definitely lived with a huge emphasis on obedience until doing sessions and a few shakeups in life made me realize that “now is the time!” to figure out what I want and start going for it….

instead of following the rules of society in terms of being a mom, wife, daughter and woman in general.

Helen says:

Still a work in progress in using my personal power more but I’ve come to realize how important that is for my own well being and happiness.

Thanks so much to all of you who have been commenting.

I’m finding each of your stories so meaningful, and presented my favorite way — straight from the heart.

John says:

This post reminded me of how I used to live my life, and how much I have grown over the last four years.

I never used to know the difference between power and obedience as I have had some blind spots in this area.

John says:

I used to do what I thought I was supposed to do and what I was told to do. Over the last four years I have been exercising my power more.

Having healing sessions (which includes skills) with Rose has helped put me in the right direction. I started using my power more in uncomfortable situations at work and with my ex-partner.

John says:

As a result, I started using power with skill, I started challenging authority with power in tactful ways when needed.

On occasions I would educate; I later learned that many people have gaps in their social skills and I was filling in some of my gaps.

John says:

Over the last few months, what power means to me has evolved.

Sometimes using power can be very subtle and I think this subtle power can be confused with obedience. It can seem, at least at first, like no action is being taken. At least this has been my experience and as a result I have learned much more about what power is.

John says:

Recently I have been taking a high-level Mathematics course which is a prerequisite for university.

One of the Lectures is an awful Maths teacher. As a result, I struggled to learn the material.

John says:

I complained about this lecturer quite a bit and was very angry about this situation.

I later learned that in order to use my power, I need to accept the situation, do what I can do in class to learn the material the best I can and hire a tutor to help me learn the rest.

John says:

As I remember this, I thought that accepting this situation was being obedient and I needed to use my power by complaining, being angry and possibly getting the lecturer fired.

I think people can get confused by the differences of power and obedience as I have.