Disturbing New Thoughts of Hatred and Prejudice

Disturbing New Thoughts of Hatred and Prejudice. Have you noticed this? How can you help make it stop?

Disturbing New Thoughts of Hatred and Prejudice. Have you noticed thoughts like these lately, nibbling at the corners of your mind?

Specifically, I’m calling out disgusting labels that stereotype people. Lately have they been appearing in your mind?

I hadn’t really noticed it consciously. Not until yesterday. When an uncommonly perceptive, honest client gave voice to this problem.

Thank you, Gladys!

In today’s article, I’d like to:

1. Describe this new problem as clearly as I can.
  2. Offer my view of why it’s happening to many people today. (Self included. Just a bit. Sooo embarrassing.)
  3. Help you admit it to yourself, if this squirmy-icky thing has been happening to you, also.
  4. Finally, I’ll suggest a definite something you can do about it.

Disturbing New Thoughts of Hatred and Prejudice.

A Subtle Problem, But Real

Without thinking much about it, Blog-Buddies, you’re used to your subconscious sound track. Various thoughts cruise through your mind, everyday thoughts. Like, suppose you’re out for an early morning walk. For inner background noise, you might hear:

• Remember to wait for the light to turn green.
  • Sure are lots of people walking around this morning.
  • Checkout this an extra-tall man!
  • That house comes with such a gorgeous garden, wow!
  • A flamingo statue on that other yard — why?

Usually we go through a comfortable set of cliches. Not how we actively think. As noted, more like a subconscious soundtrack, playing in one’s inner, everyday movie.

Only Now, What Else?

New kinds of thoughts are coming up now, for many of us. Spontaneously arising. And sounding natural. Icky thoughts seem to flow just like all the other words in your inner soundtrack. Sure, you may have heard other people use these revolting stereotypes. Disgusting names that you recognize but have never ever said out loud, not even once. Insulting names used to describe people who are “other” and “bad.”

Only, now, hearing this garbage from inside your head? Yowza, that’s new.

Not happening all the time, though. So it might go by unnoticed. I’m writing today’s post to help you to notice.

But please note: I’m not aiming to start you policing yourself, monitoring your every thought.

Instead I’m giving you permission to do some simple noticing.

What if this sort of sludge starts coming up in the background of your mind? Simply notice that this is really weird. And really, really not like you. And really, really, really wrong.

Such As?

Suppose that somebody who stands physically near you… acts rudely. Suddenly, faster than you can say “Ick!” some racist or prejudiced stereotype runs through your head.

• What a pushy xyz.
  • Another stupid qrs.

Maybe a quick inner dialogue follows, once you start noticing.

#1. “Could those thoughts have just crossed my mind?”

#2. “Impossible. I’m not a bigot.”

Or you might even have an extra thought like the one that crossed my mind recently:

#3. “How could I call a Jew a name like that? Even in my head? — I. Am. A. Jew.”

Following any of that, most likely:

#4. Bam! Shove that whole sequence into denial!

Understandable reactions, all of them. But maybe you’re wondering…

What’s NEW about This?

Being familiar with slurs and nasty stereotypes… Sadly, that’s not new.

In your lifetime, and your parents’ lifetimes, going back far as the ear can hear — disgusting put-downs have accumulated in collective consciousness.

Well, how about implicit bias? Did you dare to take this free test online? (And then learn the cringe-worthy truth.)

Surely I’m not the only “white” person who suffers from implicit bias. All that is old hat.

• But this new internal bias.
  • This subconscious insult-slinging.
  • This is new.

Disturbing New Thoughts of Hatred and Prejudice. For Many of Us, They’ve Begun RECENTLY.

Hey, maybe you can’t relate. Well, if none of this has happened to you, let me worship you. (Just kidding.) (Because I love many people. And like even more. Yet I draw the line at worship.)

What else?

In case you’re wondering, I can tell you this. People in Enlightenment aren’t immune. We don’t place out of this new prob, due to having more bliss in our consciousness. Nopeee.

My client Gladys, who brought up this distressing new experience… she lives in Enlightenment. And me too. But that doesn’t make us immune.

Feel free to comment below — anonymously, if you like. (Just tell me what you’d like me to call you. Literally, write “Call me Pat” or whatever, in the first line of your comment. Just, please, for heaven’s sake, find something different from Joe or Gladys or Anonymous. Those have already been used enough.)

And definitely share your ideas of what’s causing this problem. Plus whether you’ve used what I offer toward the end of this article. Has it helped you or not?

Meanwhile, Here’s My Theory.

Why Are Good People are Having these Disturbing New Thoughts?

Here’s my perspective, as an American living in June 2019. —  Also, I wonder if those of you who live elsewhere may have noticed something comparable.

Due to free speech, for decades, writers and performers have been introducing the most shocking language possible. At first, maybe it felt like a thrill to listeners. Such as, “Breaking a taboo — how freeing.”

But then the language became part of everyday speech.

Actually, I still remember my shock, eating dessert at Hobson’s Ice Cream Parlor in Tokyo. As usual, the sound system was playing American pop music, quite typical in some Japanese eateries. When, unannounced as anything special, a rap song came on. A song full of “Bitch” this and “Ho” that. I could hardly believe my ears. (And wanted to cover them.)

I wondered, did the ultra-polite Japanese people I’d met — most of whom had studied English for years when in school…. Did they have any idea at all of what those lyrics meant?

And Adding More Theory, Related to Living NOW

Seems to me, Trump has exacerbated that trend. The man with the slogan “Make America White Again,” more or less. Trump has encouraged racists to speak openly, to write openly.

And it’s pretty hard to get away from that noise. Even comedy shows, like “Late Night with Seth Myers.” Five days a week, they play Trump clips. Replaying Trump’s incitement to hatred and tribalism. Playing it, then mocking it. Guess what? Satire or not, that garbage is going to last forever in the viewer’s Storehouse of Impressions.

Through media, even well meaning media, collective consciousness has added new hatreds: “Make America tribal again. Make America as racist as possible.”

To me, that historical context explains the new and disgusting inner thought pollution. Akin to air pollution, now we’ve got thought pollution!

Well, that said, that acknowledged… What can we do about it? How can we protect ourselves, and protect our fellow citizens? Could there be a way to contribute healing to collective consciousness?

Here’s what I recommend.

First of All, Give Yourself Permission to Consciously Acknowledge these Barely Conscious, Disturbing New Thoughts

Don’t let them become your inner soundtrack.

Although it won’t help to make them a big deal, don’t do the opposite either — let enter in, inhabit, become routine.

Second, Take a Moment to Counter that Nastiness

I’d recommend saying the following out loud, if socially possible. Otherwise, just think it forcefully once:

• “He’s allowed to be [fill in the blank].”
  • Or “She’s allowed to be [fill in the blank].”
  • Or “They’re allowed to be [fill in the blank].”

Just that simple.

Technically Speaking

With this corrective sentence, you remind yourself (consciously and subconsciously) of tolerance.

So why not say, “I tolerate him — or her or them”? Since tolerance is a concept. Acceptance works better. As in “He’s allowed to be a person of xyz descent.”

In this context, Blog-Buddies, I think of how one name for God is “I am.”

Sometimes it helps us to celebrate what is. What actually exists, in reality.

It’s a simple way, acknowledging that the person is alive. Is allowed to live.

Better, that, compared to coining a thought about good versus bad. Or approving versus disapproving.

Instead, we can use words just a bit, simply acknowledging what is. If you’ll only add that to your share of collective consciousness… that could do us all a world of good.

Ethan says:

Thank you Rose for writing about this and providing a recommendation on how to deal with it. Just today I was reading a news article about a black contestant on a reality TV show who accused the show’s producers of having an unconscious bias with regards race and gender and claims that people of colour get “less air time”.

Sandra Haering says:

I have also noticed those new kinds of thoughts, and came to the same conclusion that they are a part of collective consciousness in America, and elsewhere. This is such a helpful response to those thoughts, Rose: to acknowledge the subject of the thought is allowed to live!

We still have choice. We contribute to the collective, as well.

Thanks so much for your responses, SANDRA and ETHAN.

SANDRA, if somebody with a heart as pure as yours is having these thoughts… what I’m flagging in this post really is a thing. I’m glad you find the tiny technique toward the end of this post to be helpful.

ETHAN, where you live in Canada, the problem described in this post is most likely not a thing. The example you give is more, to me, about becoming socially woke. And about socially marginalized people speaking up when they can.

Of course, I’m not suggesting that, in your area, there’s an absence of (terrible) social inequities and long-standing tensions. But, far as I know, you don’t have top politicians indulging in hate speech. That has been growing here since the presidential campaign for the 2016 election. And this trend has been accelerating. I’m also assuming (correctly or not, you tell me, British Blog-Buddies) that, by the standards of British civility, many Brexiteers are sounding shockingly racist, antisemitic, etc.

Although I’m definitely looking forward to hearing from those of you who live anywhere in this world, I’m especially curious about Blog-Buddies in the U.S. and England. Since both of our countries are moving into tribal factions, with hate speech coming into public discourse.

Seems to me, everyday people like us are receiving the collective consciousness impact that I’m flagging in today’s article.

Ethan says:

Hi Rose-yes to your comment #4-this isn’t a thing in Canada the same way at all.

Recently in the province of Ontario (where 40% of Canadians live) they elected Doug Ford as their premier. Doug has been compared to Trump in many ways (Fox news said he is proof that Trumps style is taking off) and I’m now curious and will nominate him for your ELL.

Oh, yowza, ETHAN!

Thanks for nominating this politician for my Enlightenment Life List. As you know, you don’t have to believe that a person is in Enlightenment. You may just be curious about his overall consciousness lifestyle. (Which is fine with me.)

Graham says:

From the UK: sadly I agree – the political discourse here has come to normalise anti-immigration attitudes..

It is not just desperately sad, but incredibly stupid (in my opinion).

Graham says:

This post reminded me of a Youtube video I saw a while back – a REPUBLICAN debate on immigration between George Bush and Ronald Reagan in 1980.

It is amazing to watch, and see how far the debate has shifted to the right:

Insightful, GRAHAM. Thank you.

Angie says:

Continental Europe and I also noticed these. Asked myself exactly the same if these were global-consciousness related.

Couldn’t see why i would get to think that way all of a sudden. It does very much feel like a saturation.

Brittany says:

I have experienced this myself. I’m glad you wrote this Rose, so I can stop mentally whipping myself after every bad thought. I read this yesterday and planned on commenting after I was able to use your quick technique.

It didn’t take long…sadly. While driving today, I used this with someone’s driving that was particularly aggressive. It worked. I smiled and continued driving. Thanks Rose!

ANGIE and BRITTANY, so glad you have something practical (and easy) to do, rather than worrying.

And thank you for speaking up here.

Lindsey Lorant says:

Very good answer on how to deal with this increased barrage of negative thoughts in day to day exposure with different people, especially in the media. Thank you Rose!

You’re so welcome, LINDSEY.

Mostly it’s people in Enlightenment (like you) who have been responding here, at this thread. Fascinating!

Annette Coykendall says:

Hello, I live in the US, in Florida. I have noticed these disturbing thoughts for a while now.

Thanks for the phrase of acceptance and allow people to be who they are. That will be helpful to apply.

ANNETTE, welcome to this blog and thank you so much for sharing on this topic. I think it takes so much awareness and honesty to find those little thoughts that flicker by.

I’m so moved by what you wrote, I want to share something I’ve never noted before at this blog.

Besides facilitating past-life regressions, I’ve also been a client for some. In one of them, I moved out many frozen blocks from the incarnation right before this one.

Long story short, I lived in Germany during the rise of Hitler (and wound up dying in a concentration camp).

That means, I re-experienced living through a time when collective consciousness in my country (then, Germany) got crazier and crazier, more and more filled with hatred. Until people couldn’t stop themselves, and ugly thoughts came to mind consciously, habitually.

In this lifetime, when my client brought up that subtle, occasional, new kind of experience, it resonated for me.

I remembered the progression of racism and hatred, as if it had lodged in my soul.

And that’s why it mattered so much to me to publish this post and provide an alternative. It matters so much to me, helping to provide better choices for those of us who live now, we pioneers of The Age of Awakening, when our free will can lift us up… if we’ll only request it.

Wow! It is scary to me, your comment number 19. The idea that this kind of craziness gradually escalates, like boiling water.

it seems pretty clear it is escalating now. I haven’t noticed these kind of thoughts related to race, but I do notice less than kind thoughts about people who irk me at my job and on the road. I am finding that saying those phrases is very helpful when this happens.

Rebecca says:

Thank you so much for sharing that personal experience, Rose!

I just finished reading Madeleine Albright’s book, “Fascism: A Warning”. She goes into some details of her experiences during that time and also of her opinions on various past and current Leaders around the World.

Rebecca says:

It has left me thinking much about the similarities in our current state of collective consciousness.

Your post was very well timed for me, personally, to take action on what I can in such a seemingly simple manner in this new Age.

KYLIE and REBECCA, thank you for your comments and also for your desire to contribute to a better society.

All you Blog-Buddies, please share this post on all the social media where you participate. If you’re on Facebook, perhaps you’d like to “share” a post I’ll create right after this comment.