Getting Tattoos. What Would You Get Energetically?

Getting Tattoos. What’s the impact on a person’s aura, choosing to get a tattoo? Let’s explore.

Getting Tattoos. Have you considered purchasing a new work of art? Wearing it for the rest of your life! And calling it “body art.”

Please read today’s article before getting any (more) tattoos.

Because tattoos are pretty darned permanent. What if you outgrow the original sentiment? Beyond that, how could getting tattooed change you energetically?

Today How Common Are Tattoos?

According to this article about “Art or Self-Destruction,” up to 38% of Americans have tattoos. Also, according to that article, hello! People get tattoos for many reasons:

1. For attention
  2. Self-expression
  3. Artistic freedom
  4. Rebellion
  5. A visual display of a personal narrative
  6. Reminders of spiritual/cultural traditions
  7. Sexual motivation
  8. Addiction
  9. Identification with a group
  10. Or even drunken impulsiveness. (Which is why many tattoo parlors are open late.)

What if you get a tattoo? Or body piercings? How will people react to you? In that regard you might enjoy reading these comments.

Soul Thrill Aura Research® Can Help You Decide about Getting a Tattoo

“Mary Anne” chose to get that kind of research. Generously she agreed to share this part of our session. And she even made a transcript. I’ll be sharing that with you soon. (Editing it slightly, for clarity.)

First, though, here come some introductions. You could think of this RES specialty as getting “guidance from auras.” So long as you don’t expect psychic readings. As you may know, RES isn’t a form of psychic development. Because no intuitive readings here! Nor psychotherapy. Nor New Age energy healing. RES is different:

RES helps people to gain personal growth and spiritual awakening. Using energy skills that work now, in the Age of Awakening.

Personally, how do I think of this form of aura research? As a highly sophisticated, yet super-practical, way to make better choices. Including whether or not to get a tattoo!

Practically speaking, what happens in this research specialty? For answers, check out one or all of the following resources:

#1A. Baseline Aura Reading. High Heart Chakra Databank for Soul Thrill

Rose: It’s large. Not surprising, really, since you’re in Age of Awakening Enlightenment. So you experience joy and freedom as a kind of baseline these days. Have you noticed this with your conscious mind?

Mary Anne: Yeah!

Rose: Isn’t that a wonderful thing? Let’s note. Age of Awakening Enlightenment brings joy and human freedom. Quite a contrast to what people notice living in the other kind of Enlightenment. (The Traditional Enlightenment kind.)

Which is more like: I am bliss. Of course I don’t notice my human life much. Nor do I care about it particularly.

Even like, I wake up in a new day. Oh it’s so stupid. And here I go again, having a human life. Until I drop the body, that’s something I must go through. Which is fine. Only the human part is pretty pathetic compared to all of my Divine bliss.

Thank goodness for Age of Awakening Enlightenment! An alternative. Available to spiritual seekers since 12/21/12.

#1B. Getting Tattoos Aura Reading. High Heart Chakra Databank for Soul Thrill

Rose: Flatlines. And how does this chakra databank flatline? Here’s the impact for your Soul Thrill, right now, of choosing to get a tattoo: Automatically, you join in Collective Consciousness with people who get tattoos. Including:

• People who are angry
  • Or frustrated at life
  • People who aren’t earning enough money and so, they feel kind of lost
  • And people who are struggling to survive for any reason.

Then this your Soul Thrill response to this research item reveals something else. What am I going to tell you about next?

Something New about Getting Tattoos. Probably Related to Living in the Age of Awakening

Dominating in Collective Consciousness at this time, for people choosing to get tattoos… To be clear, Collective Consciousness does include all those all those previously mentioned groups. However, what follows is by far the biggest theme that I’ve just noticed. (Granted, it’s showing up in this chakra databank for you, MARY ANNE. Maybe showing up more clearly because you have the clarity of Enlightenment,)

This new big deal about getting tattoos now is… A very limited sense of self. Like, trying to create a sense of self by having a picture. Or maybe some words. As if, whatever shows in that physical marking will provide that sense of self.

To me, that makes sense because we’re living in the Age of Awakening. When people can evolve fast, spiritually. And when, what happens if we don’t choose to evolve fast? We can feel extra-empty inside. Solving the problem of the self can feel urgent, even for people who never heard that fancy term.

Yes, getting inked can provide a (false) sense of self.

Wow!

Fascinating idea, isn’t it? Because, of course, other people will respond to your tattoo. Depending on what it is, they may feel like part of your tribe. Maybe, by branding your body in ink, you get a social sense of self that is very specific.

People with a similar sense of self might compliment you on the “body art.”

Sure, that makes sense to me: Branding oneself through a drawing in ink. That can give a person a sense of self. Especially soothing to somebody who seeks some inner sense of self. A person who doesn’t yet have the clarity to distinguish:

• Social sense of self.
  • Sense of self coming from within.

If You’re Interested in Self-Actualization, It’s Important Not to Confuse the Two

As a pretty experienced Enlightenment Coach,  I’m quite certain:

Nobody gets Enlightenment by joining a club. We progress spiritually by living in such a way that we wake up our consciousness. And also, for every spiritual awakening… We must follow up with activities to bring spiritual integration.

A practical example is how amazingly fast a person today can evolve by doing just 20 Daily Minutes of Technique Time. (And not including either psychic practices nor meditation.)

Socially, clothes and hairdo — and now tattoos — can constitute a surface sense of:

• That’s who I am, I’m the true Christian who wears the crucifix tattoo.
  • Or I’m the sexy guy who puts tattoos all over my fabulous arms.
  • Or I’m the one with the skull and crossbones. That shows how tough I am.
  • Essentially, on the surface of life, some folks might really believe: Who am I? Just read my tattoos.

Maybe that seems really obvious. Only, if you know much about self-actualization, this motivation to get tattooed… Like this will bring you a sense of self?

Quite a wacky confusion that’s now a big deal in Collective Consciousness!

Mary Anne: Indeed, wow!

#2A. Baseline Aura Reading. Crown Chakra Databank for Handling Sorrow in Collective Consciousness

Rose: 29 feet

Sorrow is something that you have really adjusted to well. Since we’re reading a Crown Chakra databank, let’s point this out.

In the background, every adult has this chakra databank about handling sorrow.

However — and probably this is related to living in Age of Awakening Enlightenment — you get a kind of pass. Like the sorrow that’s lively in this chakra databank… Energetically and subconsciously, it doesn’t feel much like your personal sorrow.

Not at this point, anyway. I suspect, that strong illusion in collective consciousness almost never impacts you.

Wonderful, isn’t it? Even though I don’t plan to research your other Crown Chakra databanks of the same kind. Like:

• Crown Chakra Databank for Handling Anger in Collective Consciousness
  • Crown Chakra Databank for Handling Fear in Collective Consciousness
  • And the Crown Chakra Databank for Handling Loneliness in Collective Consciousness

Probably it’s that same way with these others. Living in Age of Awakening Enlightenment helps us live in this world. Caring, like we’ve got skin in the game. Yet liberated from some of the biggest illusions here on earth.

Speaking of Which, Media Can Have a Huge Impact on Crown Chakra Databanks Like These

Pausing for a moment, let’s consider. Does it help anybody if you grieve over the news report etc?

Incidentally, let me ask this. About feeling sorrow about what media report is happening in the world? Is that something people force themselves to do where you live?

Like, in America, when I tune into National Public Radio, sigh! So often it’s like, “Let’s all feel guilty now. Let’s review in detail whatever is the worst kind of suffering anywhere in the world. Because that what a responsible person is supposed to do.” Ugh!

Is that going on where you live?

Mary Anne: Maybe not grieve. But talk and talk. And gossip about it

Rose: Yeah It is gossip, isn’t it? So I hereby encourage you to avoid opting in.

Even for the sake of helping to make life better, ouch! Seems to me, it’s a terrible waste of time . Amazingly, our news media, beyond radio have been around less than 100 years. Like when I was a little girl, my family didn’t have a television set. Not until I was about five years old.

So people today are adjusting to this new thing: the intrusive and 24/7 nature of the media. As if we’re all kind of engaged in a vast social experiment. And it’s kind of a weird experiment, isn’t it?

Because people don’t think of this as an experiment. Even worse, people don’t think there are consequences for listening to distressing news. Since we’ve got energetic literacy, we know better. Every choice we make brings consequences. Of course, that’s why I’m facilitating this research for you.

Pausing for Now, Please COMMENT Away

Do you have strong feelings about getting tattoos?

Alternatively, what if you don’t care much either way?

Either way, please tell us why. Your opinions matter. And they’re very welcome here at “Deeper Perception Made Practical.”

Also, did you learn anything surprising today about Collective Consciousness? Or the Age of Awakening? By sharing your reaction, you can help other people to understand these relatively new ideas. Not just theories but important concepts for helping every self-actualizing person who’s living now!

Joe Inkfree says:

I am not the least bit surprised by anything in this article.

Every Stage 3 reading I have ever done of anybody with tattoos showed loads of STUFF.

Joe Inkfree says:

From my experience, one doesn’t even have to perform aura readings to be able to generalize about the types of people who get tattoos.

Simply paying attention to people with tattoos versus people without tattoos and observing their behavior/thoughts/emotions, how they live their lives, and the totality of who they are is enough to see that psychologically healthy people have no interest in tattoos.

Joe Inkfree says:

Face tattoos are the absolute worst (for a number of reasons) and are seemingly becoming more popular.

I performed a Google search on the phrase “face tattoos more popular” and apparently I am not the only person who believes that face tattoos have gained popularity.

Joe Inkfree says:

I swear the world is becoming a place where normal (psychologically healthy/relatively free of STUFF) people are total freaks!

Millions of people may be able to gain enlightenment at this time, but the majority of everybody else seems to be on a downhill slope.

Joe Inkfree says:

I like the distinction made here between the two types of sense of self.

Something I sometimes do when I come across somebody with lots of tattoos is read their aura for their sense of self, and unsurprisingly it is poor.

Joe Inkfree says:

Sometimes when I come across somebody who has photos of them before and after they got another tattoo, I compare their sense of self in the two photos.

I have never read people with a better sense of self after getting more tattoos.

Steve says:

I’m friends with a guy who has a small, or smallish, number of tattoos. And he’s a good guy by my standards, obviously. Otherwise he wouldn’t be my friend.

But I do notice a couple of things about him, just on a social level, that might be related to his low-key tattoos. By my standards he’s a bit of a follower, often doing what seems to be popular.

Steve says:

And the other thing I notice is that he’s a middle class guy but he feels especially comfortable around people without much education or income.

It’s as if his behavior and clothing choices proclaim, “I’m a man of the people.”

Steve says:

In my experience, people who wear lots of visible tattoos (like arms that look like one tattoo after another), remind me of the lyrics of a lot of country western music: Being proudly down-to-earth, not fancy, and being poor but authentic.

That would describe my friend, actually. Not literally, since he’s quite well educated and has a comfortable income. But that kind of music might match how he thinks about himself. And also how he’d like others to see him. To me, tattoos are mysterious.

Thanks for your comments here, STEVE and JOE INKFREE. You’ve both helped get this conversation off to a lively start.

JOE, was there any situation in particular — that you can tell us about here — which caused you to start doing this rather extensive-sounding research project? You’ve made me curious, since evidently you’ve been researching all this a LOT. Maybe just because the topic is so fascinating?

I do have a caution for you and for other Blog-Buddies. Unless you have credentials as a mental health professional, please do not make pronouncements about anybody’s mental health.

And especially please avoid doing this in the same context as energetic literacy.

It’s very common for people to fling around psychological diagnoses, as if all of us have the right to call people “narcissists” or to opine that people “have poor mental health.”

Common though this is, that doesn’t make it a responsible use of language. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for folks who paid their dues to become mental health professionals…. for them to hear this language coming from people who don’t have any valid credentials whatsoever. Preaching to the choir, I know. 🙂

Jnana says:

Interesting! I never thought a tattoo would have an auric impact.

I’ve noticed that tattoos have entered mainstream. More young people seem to want to get them.

Jnana says:

Funnily enough, two of my meditation teachers had tattoos. One was a yogi.

I could never understand her need to tattoo the Sanskrit Om on the back of her hand. She had a lighted oil lamp on her lower arm as well. She once said she used the Om for tratak practice. Just lift the arm and start practice. I wasn’t impressed.

Jnana says:

The other teacher had extensive tattoos on his arms and legs from his past in the army.

Jnana says:

A colleague I don’t like because she’s aggressive has the name of her spouse tattooed on her rear.

I caught sight of it one day when she bent over.

Jnana says:

My first thought was ‘Oh no. What if you tire of him?’

She’s divorced now and I wonder how it must feel to have to live with the tattoo.

Jnana says:

I can’t get my head round the fact that someone in enlightenment wants a tattoo.

Jnana says:

Speaking of the media, it has been too many times that I’ve had to turn off my favourite radio channel because listening to it was too distressing.

Fascinating vignettes, JNANA!

Let’s clarify, though, about your Comment #18. My client, in Enlightenment, didn’t want to get a tattoo. She was just curious, and like many who never though getting one could impact her aura, she suspected the opposite. As you’ve read, she was right. (At least if you believe in the accuracy of Soul Thrill Aura Research®.)

As for the yogi whose tattoos you described in Comment #14, I find her explanation very plausible. What if you were to bring her photo to an RES session, and ask me to research? Or you were to use skills and research her for yourself!

Quite likely, you’d find a pretty earthbound person who is trying to uplift herself through yoga. Extremely different from you, to put it mildly.

Jnana, you know how children are. They need concrete operations.

For instance, learning to add and subtract, they need to see and feel and hear material objects, like holding candies and adding them. When more developed, kids can use numbers more abstractly.

Likewise, someone who hasn’t had that many human incarnations yet, can have a comparable literalness. Think of all the people who need to wear crosses, or other religious symbols.

That’s not like a clergy member proclaiming status. More like somebody who defines being a Christian as “being saved” and belonging to a church and wearing the jewelry.

Not all who wear crosses are like that, of course. In my novel, “The Roar of the Huntids,” (which takes place in 2020, maybe no longer that far in the future), I describe a number of social groups who despise each other.

One group requires that all members wear 10-Pounders, heavy crosses supported by a shoulder harness. It’s a symbol of Big Faith.

Alternatively, when I helped clients in Japan, I questioned one of them about her earrings shaped like crosses. Gladys was a cute young thing, dressed in very trendy clothes. Through an interpreter I asked her, “Are you a Christian?”

“No,” she told me. “I just thought these are in style.”

Jnana says:

Re 20
    Ah, get it now. Glad she explored this and gave permission to share on the blog.

Ethan says:

Fascinating topic-in Canada the Inuit have revitalized traditional tattooing to heal from colonization, this includes many types of facial tattoos.

These are traditional tattoos passed down through families and they are becoming more and more common where I am.

Just one possibility, JNANA.

People are beautiful, inwardly. People are strange, definitely. And clearly, most of the ones you meet will not be like me-me-me!

Golly, ETHAN, talk about fascinating!

I can get how the stated intent is to “heal from colonization.” But, with respect due to people who are doing the best they can to shape their own lives, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if rage, hatred, and victimization are stronger impacts, aurically.

Jnana says:

The yogi was from so far back in the past. She has long left this country and I don’t have any photos of her.

Also — and please forgive me if my ignorance of Inuit people shows in a terrible way — getting a facial tattoo can pretty much destroy adjusting well to living like a member of Canadian society. Although these tattoos may induce guilt in some other Canadians (not my idea of healing, either), I’m very skeptical that inked faces will bring any true healing whatsoever. Not to anyone.

I’m very sorry about the colonization, truly. But when did it happen, a few years ago? Couldn’t it be time to move on and just have the best life possible?

Jnana says:

I do think her explanation is plausible too but really, couldn’t she have used a picture or something? She must be the only swami ever to have a tattoo.

JNANA, I’ve no doubt that we would have been content with using pictures of gurus and Divine Beings.

In fact, at various times in our lives, we have, right? Haha. What a world!

Regretful says:

Hi Rose, For those of us who already went down this road long ago-could RES Healing help to get past the embarrassment of having regrettable tattoos?

Kylie Sparks says:

When I was in college, most of the people I knew had tattoos or were considering getting them. These were middle class, highly educated people and most people went for some very tasteful small tattoo in a hidden place. Usually something like Celtic knotwork or Japanese kanji symbols.

I considered it but just couldn’t do it, not being able to think of any symbol I would want on my body for life, no matter how artistic or hidden.

Ethan says:

Regarding your comment #31-Inuit had contact with Europeans starting in the 18th Century, but it was in the 1940’s that the Canadian Government started to put on the pressure to adapt to western ways.

The highest suicide rates in Canada are amount Inuit. I also doubt that tattoos will heal all this but it seems to be giving a sense of empowerment.

Liane says:

Being years away from learning about RES, I waited till I was 40 before deciding on my tattoo. It’s discreet, the meaning matters only to myself.

At the time it was a statement of independence from certain family members, and the religious cult I had just gotten out of.

Liane says:

I have no regrets, most of the time I don’t even think about it, until I see a flash of it in the mirror.

Whether or not it slowed me down emotionally or spiritually – I cannot tell. All roads led to here.

Such heart-opening comments. Thank you for your eloquence, LIANE, ETHAN, KYLIE SPARKS, and REGRETFUL.

LIANE, your words of wisdom made me think about the motivation that underlies getting a tattoo. In this case, it was a deeply personal step in the direction of independence. I’ll bet, if we Soul Thrill Researched when you got it, the results would be glorious.

Of course, we always have the right to show the world — however prominently — a particular version or symbol of ourselves.

By contrast, a discreet tattoo of private significance isn’t a social statement, is it? LIANE, you’ve given a beautiful example here. And since what you were overcoming was so dramatic, it makes total sense to me that you needed a dramatic counter-statement at the time. Maybe giving you the will to persist.

ETHAN, thanks for your response to my question. I appreciate that getting these tattoos is presented as a form of empowerment.

I’m simply a skeptic. You see, I don’t believe that people gain personal power by showing an emblem signifying how their families have suffered oppression. Sometimes resentment and hatred can feel like empowerment. Mysterious, unfathomable life! Certainly I hope that every one of these tattoos produces a beautiful result.

KYLIE SPARKS, isn’t it fascinating how academic culture can establish its own ways of “‘being special” — all the way down to discreetly hidden tattoos like those you mentioned.

Personally, I would recommend that folks reconsider. Not just for the practical reason that inspired you. But because academic achievement is gorgeous, but intellectual snobbery is not.

Regarding that Comment #34, I would be happy to facilitate a session of RES Energy HEALING. Not necessarily to change an emotion about having gotten tattoos but in order to lessen the energetic impact.

For example — and it’s just one example — you might have a cord of attachment to the person whose name is on your tattoo.

Another example: Causational-type STUFF can be set in motion by getting a tattoo.

Such as Energetic Sub-Routines and Causational Beliefs.

With appropriate STUFF removal and PUT-IN, you can divest yourself of burdens like these.

Could be, a physical tattoo remains but stops limiting your life. For example, it might wind up having zero impact on your romantic prospects, even if your body will continue to show a little heart like, “I’ll always love Elmo.”

And moving forward from a tattoo is especially likely if it’s discreetly placed.

Facial tattoos, in particular, can really limit a person socially. Even if businesses have policies not to discriminate, many people will recoil in private.

Over on Facebook, one of my FB friends commented at a link to this post. She wrote, ” My daughter has a lot of them and I personally hate them. There are just too many! I tell her I like them just to keep the peace. She is 41 years old.”

Although I invited this FB friend to come onto my blog and join our conversation, she hasn’t. I doubt she will. So I’ll share this without naming her. (No doubt, my blog isn’t nearly as public as Facebook. Where she’s already shared quite a lot.)

Of course, we parents will do a lot to keep having a relationship with an adult child. Like the saying, “Small kids, small problems; big kids, big problems.” It’s a unique kind of heartbreak, when parents witness our grownup kids making decisions that we really, really don’t like.

That said, I would encourage any of you who are parents not to pretend to like your child’s tattoos. You’re the parent. Not the best friend wannabe. Perhaps you might send your child a link to this blog post? Or else risk speaking up directly. (When you can do manage that without either screaming or sobbing.)

Liane says:

Thank you, Rose, for seeing the bright side of my need to express independence.

I love what you said in comment #40, “Maybe giving you the will to persist”. Indeed, it did. It was the beginning of an inner revolution…. in which I won!

LIANE, you’re welcome. You sure have a home in my Hall of Heroes.

I don’t know that there was anything academic or intellectually snobby about it. It was more about the counter culture of my college, in a particular city Richmond VA, where smoking pot and doing drugs was cool, drinking till you blacked out was cool, dressing in all black and getting multiple tattoos and other piercings.

That was the group that I ended up with, because of the particular off-campus dorm where I was housed. Not having a particularly strong sense of self at that time in my life, I let other people define cool for me.

It’s my impression too, that all of those things were typical of Generation X, my generation. The “lost” generation.

So, at my job when I meet people born in the late 60’s, as I can tell from their identification cards, I am not surprised at all to see multiple tattoos/piercings.

Also, in thinking about it, I knew lots of people who got multiple tattoos, not stopping at the one or two small hidden tattoos…

And, if I had ended up in one of the college dorms instead of the overflow off-campus housing, I would have been immersed in an entirely different culture, fraternity culture.

Where heavy drinking was also emphasized, but not tattoos, drugs or alternative sub culture.

Obviously, if I had had a stronger sense of self, and was not an unskilled empath, it wouldn’t have mattered where I lived, I would have made better choices.

But as Liane said, all roads lead to here. I’m glad that I survived that time in my life, doing the best that I could. And that somewhere along my path I discovered RES.

All your comments here are so helpful for expanding my understanding, KYLIE. Thank you.

Especially I’m intrigued by Comment #54. Maybe we can make a difference, with people we love, by not praising how cool the tattoo is, or lying that we love it (not that you’re the one at this thread who did that).

Maybe it’s more helpful to say, “Did you know that many people who get second tattoos keep getting more and more of them? Please let this one be enough.”

True, Rose. For many people it becomes like an addiction.

But what I look forward to is a day when young people do STAR research before going off to college.

When I chose a college, I had no idea that there were other factors to consider then what majors the college offered, or what standing the college had. I couldn’t have known then what a difference different housing options might make.

And a day when young people make choices about whether to drink or do drugs, with more information about what that choice will do to their consciousness.

When friends talked about getting tattoos it certainly never occurred to me to wonder, how will this tattoo affect my consciousness!!!

Indeed, Kylie! Thank you.

Bob says:

This is a great blog topic.

I find the chakra databank domino effect fascinating when one gets any kind of tattoo.

Bob says:

It’s fascinating that when one gets a tattoo they’re automatically linked to groups in the collective consciousness that are rife with pain and struggle.

Additionally, a tattoo automatically impacts how one handles sorrow in the collective consciousness, but then the discussion turned to how media covering stories of human struggles with guilt angles impacts one’s crown chakra databank as well.

Bob says:

It isn’t explicitly stated, but I’m assuming that the last section of the conversation about the media infers that people with tattoos are more inclined to consume news media; are more drawn to stories that cover human suffering with guilt angles, and/or use these types of news stories to gossip as a means of bonding with other people?

Bob says:

I’m just trying to gain clarification on the link between gossip and tattoos.

If there is a clear link between the two subjects then I think it goes hand-in-hand with a maxim you once told me years ago, “Gossip is the refuge of the powerless.”

BOB, your thoughtfulness really shines through here in these comments.

And I’m honored to have you elevate one of the sentences I put together, “Gossip is the refuge of the powerless,” into a maxim. Aw….

Please, let’s remember the context of this little post and the one that follows: One person’s Soul Thrill Aura Research(R) on getting a tattoo.

Specifically I wouldn’t seek a link between tattoos and media consumption or gossip. What’s the biggest takeaway from this article? Sure, it is going to be in the eyes of the beholder.

For me personally, BOB, the biggest takeaway is how getting a body marking for life, a marking that isn’t due to cultural markings of an aboriginal tribe but a contemporary, optional choice…

A permanent marking on one’s physical body — that could be a bit of a mistake. Because this isn’t just a cute haircut or a trendy pair of jeans, something to change up later.

Common or not, tattoos seems to me to be a rather drastic thing to do. Whether taken seriously or not. Whether done while drunk or not. (You can read more about the drunk aspect in the next blog post.)

As a result, getting inked may cause a lot of ripple effects about a person’s connection to Collective Consciousness. Perhaps setting the stage for tribal behavior (as discussed in the next blog post, which offers additional aura research and also more perspective from me as an Enlightenment Coach).

Although I’m no fan of Mindfulness Meditation, as you may know, I’m also no fan of mindlessness. As in getting a permanent physical marking in order to fit in socially, or for other casual reasons.

It reminds me of watching folks when I ride the Washington Metro. Since the 1980’s, I’ve loved riding the Metro and people watching.

However, over the last several years, I’ve noted a change in the riders, especially those who ride on their own. It seems so automatic to most passengers to pull out their phones and games and not “waste” a minute on looking at people, smiling at people, enjoying the ride.

I wonder if people are opening themselves up to be easily influenced by whatever gets the most YouTube hits or inspires the most followers on Instagram or Twitter.

Seems to me, a key to personal independence is humanity. Finding it in others. Caring about our own.

Stretching our minds. Opening our hearts. And yes, valuing our humanity.

Bob says:

Thanks for the feedback! I remember in 2010 I really wanted a tattoo on my wrists because I wanted to be tougher. Partly to convince myself I was tough and partly to look tough to other people.

At the time I felt powerless and angry. Thankfully, I was too broke to buy a tattoo and I never got one. These days I’m not nearly as powerless or angry as I was then, and maybe not coincidently, I have no desire to get a tattoo. In fact, I proudly declare that I have no tattoos whenever someone asks me! 🙂

You’re welcome, BOB. You’ve gained so much empowerment in the years that I’ve known you.

Fact is, this Enlightenment Coach admires you. A lot.

Would you like to read a follow-up article on tattoos? You can find one here, abstractly inked with Enlightenment Coaching.