Untying Family Ties. Prince Harry & Meghan

Untying Family Ties. Honestly now, how important to you are your family ties?

Untying Family Ties. Yesterday Prince Harry & Meghan Markle announced they will “step back.”

For you and me, guess what? Perhaps the most important thing about this story? Hint: Age of Awakening. Extra hint: New Rules.

It’s not about the prince. And his unlikely ascent to the throne of England. (Even Pop, Prince Charles, hasn’t made that yet. And he’s 71 years old.) While Prince Harry is 6th in line. Awfully long odds, right?

Instead, What Matters Here? New Rules in the Age of Awakening

First I’ll summarize what’s going on with Prince Harry and Meghan. Following that, we’ll get to the really juicy part. (Spiritually speaking, juicy.) (And directly relevant to your life.)

Yesterday, the royal couple made a splash with an Instagram statement. Specifically, the couple told their followers they wanted to “step back” as senior members of the royal family.

Rather than that, they’d work to become financially independent. Although they’d continue to fully support Her Majesty The Queen.

Most Notably? A Progressive New Role??? Or Something Else…

Sure, Harry and Meghan said they saw themselves carving out “a progressive new role within this institution.”

Even though in my view, what will change from their perspective? Probably not much. They’re already full-time, mega-famous celebrities. Doing good works.

So, Let’s Get to that Juicy Part. Untying Family Ties in the Age of Awakening

Even on a quiet news day, Harry and Meghan have received more media coverage. More media recognition than the Age of Awakening. (This being the only sample of media coverage I’ve found so far.)

Huge media silence, ever since 12/21/12. Despite the huge importance of that Shift into a new era.

Many of you know, I’ve written a how-to about The Age of Awakening:

The New Strong

Stop Fixing Yourself—And Actually Accelerate Your Personal Growth!

(Rules & Tools for Thriving in the “Age of Awakening”)

Among those rules is one huge change regarding you and your family.

Untying Family Ties During the Age of Faith?

Only for wicked people. Outcasts. Reprobates.

In Collective Consciousness, a certain rule was firmly established: Family First.

Ever hear of that one? Haha. Back in the day, good luck with escaping that.

Most Folks Haven’t Yet Understood that Humanity Has Some New Rules

Witness the fabulous movie “Coco.” Released in 2017.

Despite being released about 5 years after to the Age of Awakening… Such a throwback to the preceding Age of Faith. Most significantly, the seemingly sacred old rule of “Family First.”

Surprisingly or not, in the Age of Awakening, untying family ties isn’t bad. In fact, it can be a really good, smart thing to do. Depending on the family you’ve got.

Here’s my practical definition of the Age of Awakening:

Millions of people can even move into Enlightenment. And without having to live as monks or nuns.

Why can we evolve more rapidly? As adults, we can choose how close we’re going to be to our blood relatives.

Increasingly, Untying Family Ties Is a Trend

And a good trend, at that!

Witness what I described in this blog post about Empowering Relationship Choices.

What has your experience been, Blog-Buddies?

Please COMMENT and share.

1. Regarding family ties, what has worked for you? Versus, what hasn’t?
  2. Do you think people are “bad” if they choose to untie family ties?
  3. Can you see a connection between “Family First” and getting bogged down with personal growth? Or do you believe, as do many therapists and religious followers… that you can’t progress unless you “resolve” and “forgive” everything aspect of family relationships.
  4. Of course, you know I’m a believer in New Rules in the Age of Awakening. How about you? Do you see your views about family as being relevant? Like, having any connection to the fact that now you’re living in the Age of Awakening?
  5. Finally, do you have any reaction to what’s happening with the royals?

PK says:

The issue with the Sussexes isn’t the fact that they want to exit. Other royals have. I think the problem is two fold. First, they want to leave but also keep many of the perks. So they want the great lifestyle (the celebrity) but they don’t want do the drudgery responsibilities with it as royals must do. And second, from what I’ve read, they were instructed BY THE QUEEN not to go public with it yet until details had been ironed out. They did it anyway. You don’t do that to the monarch.

Thank you, PK, for sharing some of your views. I don’t know if you made it down to the end of the article, with the five questions I’ve asked of you readers and returning Blog-Buddies.

But you’ve opened up a new perspective for answering those questions.

“You don’t do that to the monarch” sounds a bit like “You don’t do that to the parents” or “You don’t do that to a sister.” Or “one doesn’t treat a brother that way, no matter what.”

All of this very Age of Faith, seems to me. Almost quaint-sounding, in the Age of Awakening.

Of course, a quintessential Age of Faith belief was strongly held by the British monarchy at one time, the Divine Right of Kings. Surrender! Obey!

Having read the aura of today’s Queen Elizabeth (for students at my Aura Reading 101 Online Workshop), I was startled to find something very much like that in her aura as an experienced ruler. Something like, “You must obey. I will be obeyed.” It was fascinating, also unique in my experience.

The word IMPERIOUS doesn’t quite do it justice.

Will says:

Hey, I’ll go first.

Question 1. I had to break of contact with my father, mother, and sister. To put it in your terms, Rose, the price I had to pay was just too high.

Will says:

They didn’t respect me as a person. It was more like they enjoyed the IDEA of having me in their lives. I know that I deserve better.

They had ample warning. Fact was, they never changed. And they always thought, maybe this time I can change him.

Will says:

Question 2. I know for a fact that a good person has the right to stop hanging out, over and over, with disrespectful relatives.

To me, the “unpleasant” part with my immediate family outweighed the “relatives” part.

Will says:

Question 3. Can I see a connection between “Family First” and getting bogged down with personal growth?

Oh yes. And you know what? I already got enough virtue points, trying to make my family work. Enough already.

Will says:

Question 4. Rose, what you wrote about the New Rules in the Age of Awakening versus the Old Rules in the Age of Faith? This is spot on.

In fact, I think everything in “The New Strong” was spot on. Thank you for having the leadership and courage to publish that book.

Will says:

Question 5. Funny you should ask. At first I thought, “More celebrity gossip. Who cares?”

But I think this article is really insightful. I do see a connection between how I’ve handled my family relationships and what the Prince Harry and Meghan are attempting to do.

WILL, thanks to you we’re off to an excellent start.

I wonder how many millions of people are talking about Harry and Meghan…. versus how few people are thinking — this isn’t just celebrity news or news of ROYALS, this is a human trend that is pretty new and it impacts us all.

Like stay in touch with those family members where it’s helpful, or dutiful without being acutely painful. But give yourself license to rethink the degree of closeness.

And not, almost needless to say, feel the need to hunt around for a label like “narcissist” in order to give yourself permission to take a step back from a family relationship.

Claudia says:

Thank you for this article, Rose. I welcome the chance to springboard off what’s happening with the royals and think about what’s happening in these early years of the Age of Awakening.

Claudia says:

I will comment on your quiz. I don’t know if I’m an outlier or if I speak for the majority of your readers, but here goes.

Answer 1. My family, in general, has worked for me. By which I mean my immediate family. To me, family means my parents. That’s it, I’m an only child.

Claudia says:

When I was growing up, there were visits with grandparents and cousins, aunts and uncles.

If I think about things from the perspective of my parents, which creeps me out a little, they would be people who stepped away from their family members. Much of it I don’t know, but knowing them, they had good reason.

Claudia says:

From some of the stories that I did here, my parents were right to step away. For sure, they’re happier for having done that.

Come to think of that, those stepping aways all happened after the Shift into the Age of Awakening.

Claudia says:

As for me, I get along great with both my parents, both of them. And they get along great with me.

I think that’s because we understand each other and care about each other. Also, they’ve already treated me with respect. Sure I had rules when I grew up, but a lot of things were negotiable.

Claudia says:

Answer 2. No, I don’t think people are bad if they step away from family ties, but my answer is complicated. I hear a lot of talk about narcissists and people who drain energy.

Thanks to this blog, I know better than to make energy-type excuses.

Claudia says:

I guess it depends on the situation. Are there real complaints? Or is the main problem belonging to the person who complains about the “terrible” family.

Real complains, to me, would be about what the family member says and does in reality. Depending on what has happened in reality, stepping back could really be justified in a big way. Again, it depends, doesn’t it?

Claudia says:

And you could say I’m a believer in personal growth. I believe in the Age of Awakening being something real as well.

I love the part of this article, Rose, where you said, “Personal growth and spiritual awakening can accelerate in the Age of Awakening. Depending on how we use our free will.” Friends of mine have had to recover from visits to their family, like every time. That’s the opposite of growing. Why would they be bad to step away?

Claudia says:

Answer 3. Oh yes.

Far as I’m concerned, it reads like an equation. FAMILY FIRST equals KISS YOUR PERSONAL GROWTH GOODBYE.

Claudia says:

Answer 4. Of course I believe in the New Rules. I dare anybody who has read your book The New Strong to NOT be glad to kiss the Old Rules goodbye, and then gratefully embrace the New Rules.

This small part of your book, Rose, is worth the cover price imo. Altogether, the book is an amazing resource for living in the Age of Awakening.

Claudia says:

Answer 5. Nope. No offence to Prince Andrew and Meghan Markle, but their business doesn’t have to be my business.

Eloquent, CLAUDIA. Thank you.

Blog-Buddies, today advice columnist Carolyn Hax made an excellent point about family members with poor communication skills.

To see the beauty part, click on this link and scroll down to “We Don’t Like Each Other.”

The advice columnist gives very good advice here. No harm in trying.

If it makes no difference, one can Serenity Prayer it. Can you accept what you can’t change? Or can’t you?

One of my clients, Joe, is a fabulously skilled communicator. After trial and error, he found three topics for discussion with family:
    *The weather
    *How to drive from Point A to Point B
    * And something else so mundane, I can’t even remember what it is.

Joe chooses to play by these rules. That’s the acceptance choice.

Evidently, it’s important to him to stay connected somewhat to family. And it works, because he’s lowered his expectations.

Other folks might not be satisfied with having “A relationship in name only.” They’d rather greatly restrict the relationship, or even end it.

Of course, to use common sense before choosing that option… with relatives who might leave you a bundle in their wills! I call that “pragmatic,” and “totally reasonable.” How about you?

Emily Turner says:

I read this earlier on a guardian article: “One source told the newspaper they had been in Canada, away from the influence of palace aides, in a “vacuum, thinking and plotting, winding each other up”. On their return, it was said, they would “listen to no one but each other”.

Emily Turner says:

Such Age of Faith assumptions!

That it is so shocking that a married couple in their thirties considered each other, rather than their extended family for making decisions about their life!!

Emily Turner says:

“plotting” and “winding each other up”

The word choice to me really say something about assumptions about the normalcy of putting (Royal) family first and foremost. The palace source is using words more apt for villains and troublemakers.

Jnana says:

1. Walking away from family has worked very well for me. Family ties was making me live half alive.

Jnana says:

2. Definitely not given what I’ve been through. Now, whenever I meet people who feel like bad people because they want to walk away from their family, I always assure them they are right in thinking that way and encourage them to make the move.

Jnana says:

3. Boy, do I see the connection. How many years I wasted thinking I was a complete failure because I could not get along with family. Soul thrill was thwarted. Personal growth was nil. Looking back, I realize now, I was living in pain a lot of the time.

Jnana says:

4. I was so relieved to read the New Rules in the Age of Awakening regarding family. Because even though I felt so good leaving family, I still wondered if I was right in what I did. I never even gave my family my address.

Every time the thought of ‘how could you? Don’t you think a good person would give their address to their own family?’ came to me, a louder ‘NO, NEVER!’ would end the conversation. Interestingly, I broke away in December of 2012, the start of the Age of Awakening.

Jnana says:

5. If the movie ‘The Crown’ is based on true facts and given the aura reading of the Queen in the aura reading 101, I fully support the stepping back of the royals.

I hope they navigate it successfully because it’s a chance at real happiness for them.

Oooh, EMILY! Plotting and winding each other up! As a married couple in their thirties, making their own choices.

I couldn’t agree more, such archaic Age of Faith assumptions!

Ethan says:

Hi Rose -Regarding family ties, what has worked for me?

Energy Spirituality has helped me to understand the people in my family better, no need for years of therapy.

Ethan says:

I no longer feel guilty for living my own life and not being deeply involved with them.

Ethan says:

I can do small talk and stick to the weather just fine and I know why I’m doing that.

No resentment anymore about the “perfect family” I used to feel robbed of.

Ethan says:

This doesn’t make me a bad person, and this isn’t a forgiveness project either.

Ethan says:

As for the royals-I am glad to see Meghan and Harry still have their marriage in tact through all this.

I do wish them well-such an Age of Awakening event for sure.

Eloquent words, ETHAN. Thanks so much.

(My favorite comment of yours here is fabulously powerful Comment #38.)

James says:

Re:PK, I don’t think Harry needs permission from their grandmother to leave the family.

Using your words, the monarchy a “family firm.” How interesting that family comes first in that wording!

James says:

However, Harry and Meghan are adults, and we (the public) are not privy to all the private details that contribute to their decision. Period.

James says:

We do not know the dynamics of their family.
    We do not know what has transpired.
    We do not know all the details on how the family runs their business, and frankly, I don’t want to know.

James says:

If they want to quit their jobs and leave their family, so be it.

It looks to me like Harry is trying to compromise rather than, “Keep many of the perks.”

JNANA, thanks so much for these Comments #34-38.

I especially admire your self-authority and perseverance because, in your part of Asia, it could be extra-challenging to say “No” to family.

Dana R says:

I’ll take a turn. Rose, I always find it helpful to comment here as a person, not some sick patient in therapy. (If you know what I mean.)

Dana R says:

Question 1. I do think families have changed, based on comparing myself as a mother in contrast to how I grew up.

So many factors contribute, including technology and income inequality. I tend to agree with you, though, that driving all these changes is how we’re all living in the Age of Awakening. Whether we know it or not.

Dana R says:

For example, I think I grow faster in one day, living now. Faster than I grew in a week, just 10 years ago.

Dana R says:

Yet my parents have pretty much stopped growing, far as I can tell. How are they using their extra powerful, Age of Awakening free will?

Spiritual Shutdown, I think you’d call it. Of course, they’d call it “being good Catholics.” 🙁

Dana R says:

How could my family ties to the parental unit be “close”? Given the way we can each grow at the rate we choose now, I would have to be dragging them.

Not only don’t I want to drag Mom and Pop. Good luck with that!

Dana R says:

Question 2. Depends on the motivation, each person’s motivation.

But no, in general, adjusting family ties is not a sign of badness. It could be a sign of thinking. (Or should I call that thinkingness?)

Dana R says:

Question 3. Caught me, Rose. I did used to believe that “as do many therapists and religious followers… that you can’t progress unless you “resolve” and “forgive” everything aspect of family relationships.”

Looking back at all the time I wasted doing this “working on myself”? It’s not a pretty sight.

Dana R says:

At least I did eventually come to my senses, my commonsense senses.

Thanks to Energy Spirituality, now I tend to solve my problems in the present. And while giving due consideration to objective reality!

Dana R says:

Question 4. I definitely believe in the New Rules for the Age of Awakening, including regarding family.

Reading that part of “The New Strong” sure did free me up from lot of guilt and worry.

Dana R says:

Question 5. I do have a reaction to what’s going on with the royals, concerning their apparent values.

Following the news to a reasonable extent, I learned that Prince Andrew had to step DOWN from his public duties. Especially after he bungled a big interview where he was questioned about his connection to Jeffrey Epstein, notorious for sex trafficking.

Dana R says:

Apparent the royals and their favorite media are cool with this.

Whereas what’s considered really DISGRACEFUL is having Prince William and his wife voluntarily step AWAY. Even though, seems to me, they’re doing it in a way where they’re attempting compromise.

Dana R says:

I think the contrast in the royal family’s reactions to these two princes speaks volumes!!!

I’m grateful to Harry and Meghan for their contribution to collective consciousness, helping more to adjust to the Age of Awakening 🙂

DANA R, so great to hear from you. I like all your comments; they’re brimming with insight.

Especially I like your Comments #60-62. Interesting point.

Prince Andrew most likely having sex with underage girls? No prob, just keep quiet.

But how does Prince Harry (6th in line for the throne, highly unlikely to ever become king)… How horrible for him and his wife to take themselves out of the cruel glare of the royal spotlight, taking orders from his grandparents.

SANDRA HAERING, you’ve put it so well. Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are helping to move collective consciousness forward.

Thank you.

Liane says:

Question 1. What’s worked for me is to cut ties to my parents and siblings. Not without some conflicting emotions early on.

20 years later looking back… it was the best thing I could have done.

Liane says:

Question 2. No, I don’t think people are ‘bad’ if they cut family ties, any more than I think they are ‘good’ for not doing so. Each situation is different.

Liane says:

Question 3. Resolve and forgive are what other people think I should do.

There’s nothing to resolve, and forgiveness is overrated — for me.

Liane says:

Question 4. Yes, my views about family are relevant. To who I was then, in the beginning of my need to separate, and to who I am now, aware of living in the Age of Awakening.

Liane says:

Question 5. I’m silently cheerleading for Harry and Megan.

They are using their free will to set themselves apart from the collective consciousness that would have them be what’s considered proper (for a royal).

Liane says:

Being born into a the royal family is a life sentence.

Living like them is not.

LIANE, thanks for these wonderful comments. Your writing just shines, as well as the wisdom underlying it.

As for your witty Comment #69, I definitely did a hearty LOL. Thanks for that.

Eliza says:

1. Regarding family ties, what has worked for you? Versus, what hasn’t?

What has worked for me as an adult is to acknowledge who in my family, in reality, loves me and likes me and is capable of showing me respect and consideration.

Eliza says:

There is one person out of my entire extended family who can do that and so I am in contact with her.

There are others who might be able to but don’t want to be known as associating with me because it would cause them too many problems.

Eliza says:

For those that do not like or love me, and cannot treat me with respect, I don’t speak to or see anymore.

Eliza says:

This works so much better for me.

I am much more able to make progress towards my goals, because I find it easier to think that I deserve to reach my goals and I don’t receive any active discouragement from them.

Eliza says:

What didn’t work in the past, was always trying to improve those relationships with family members who didn’t like or love me, or treat me kindly.

Eliza says:

I would struggle before, during and after interactions with them.

I felt like a bad person because these meetings or calls would feel so terrible or go badly, or it would go fine but they just seemed so bored by anything I had to tell them.

Eliza says:

2 Do you think people are “bad” if they choose to untie family ties?

No I do not.

Eliza says:

This is the opposite for those in my family of origin though, they clearly think I’m a terrible person for deciding to not talk to them again.

Eliza says:

But thankfully I don’t care what they think.

I am curious as to the reaction I might get when the elder family members start dying and they realise I also won’t be attending any of their funerals!

Eliza says:

3 Can you see a connection between “Family First” and getting bogged down with personal growth?

Eliza says:

Absolutely, I do think my personal growth was hampered while I was still in contact with my family.

Eliza says:

I did my very best but the confusion that comes about from trying to believe that people who treat you badly, or are not interested in you personally are some of the most important people in your life… really made me question myself and it was harder to believe that I could have bigger dreams for my life and that I could achieve them.

Eliza says:

4 Of course, you know I’m a believer in New Rules in the Age of Awakening. How about you? Do you see your views about family as being relevant? Like, having any connection to the fact that now you’re living in the Age of Awakening?

Very relevant and I’m very grateful to live now.

Eliza says:

5 Finally, do you have any reaction to what’s happening with the royals?

Very happy that they are, without knowing it, following some of the New Rules of the Age of Awakening and making this step of separating from a family/company that does not make them happy,

Eliza says:

And easier for people who are watching their example.

ELIZA, this magnificent series of comments reminds me of the very best chocolate chip cookies — made with real butter and lots-lots-lots of good quality chocolate chips.

Thank you.

BLOG-BUDDIES, if you’ve read slowly through these power-packed comments (and I sure hope you have), you probably had some reactions.

Please share them in your comments here, either with your name or anonymously. For anonymous comments, in the first line write what you’d like me to call you. I’ve enough skills for that discreet move, as blog monitor. Trust me here.

Olivia Swan says:

Thanks to a recent Energy Spirituality session, I recently cut my last tie to my immediate family.

It feels so good to be able to move on.

Olivia Swan says:

I just had one of the best holiday seasons of my life, and I didn’t miss them at all.

Olivia Swan says:

My holidays were peaceful, joyful, and simple, spent with people who care about me.

OLIVIA, this is just beautiful. Seems to me, you’re not simply trashing your family. Rather, you’re treasuring yourself. (Which they don’t do.)

So you’re choosing to spend holidays and other good times with people who deserve to be in your life.

Olivia Swan says:

One of the biggest things I’ve realized by untying family ties is how freeing it is to see and accept the truth.

Olivia Swan says:

Experiencing this with my family has allowed me to become more aware that I have blind spots into which I’m always working to bring more truth (thank you Energy Spirituality).

Olivia Swan says:

It isn’t always easy to see the truth, but I’m so grateful when I do see it.

Truth awakens something magical within me.

More beautiful comments from you, OLIVIA. Seems to me that one of those magical components of truth is something I know has been growing stronger for you over the years, self-authority!

Jayme says:

They say “blood is thicker than water.” Nope. Just sticker.

I’m related to some nasty people, I had to let go of them.

Witty and wise, JAYME. Thank you.