Spiritual Hypochondria, Energy Hypochondria.

Spiritual Hypochondria. Don’t go there, Blog-Buddies. Here’s why not!

Spiritual Hypochondria is one of those beautiful ideals… that can slow down your spiritual progress. And suck a lot of the joy out of your life.

Ironically, who’s most at risk? People who care passionately about personal growth. Or spiritual awakening. Or both!

In this article, I’ll clarify the meaning of Spiritual Hypochondria. Let’s explore WHY to stop. And then, HOW to stop?

First of All, What IS Spiritual Hypochondria

It means trying too hard spiritually.

• Whether trying to please God.
  • Or to do a super-de-dooper job at your religion.
  • My fellow English Lit. majors may remember a poignant example. In “A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man,” James Joyce describes a phase in his Catholic life of “supererogatory” attempts toward sainthood.

Another example is this blog Comment #12, which inspired today’s blog post:

“Doing anything but my dharma has become unbearable for me.”

Spiritual Hypochondria Is Similar to Energy Hypochondria

Maybe you recognize this term of art from Energy Spirituality.

Energy Hypochondria means dwelling overmuch on whether your personal energies are okay. For instance:

1. Maybe “grounding” and “shielding” your aura all day long.
  2. Likewise, it’s Energy Hypochondria to worry about “Toxic Personalities.”
  3. Or to fear reading auras because (supposedly) what you find in others will become contagious.

In my view, Energy Hypochondria is worse than a waste of time. Since it will… not might…  will…

Energy Hypochondria will propel a person into spiritual addiction.

(To grow past that, read “The New Strong.” Still having a problem? Book a personal session with me.)

Both Energy Hypochondria and Spiritual Hypochondria Are Totally Unnecessary

Back at the idea of dharma, I do invite you to read this article with an Energy Spirituality perspective on dharma. Since it’s a non-religious, practical approach to a really important concept.

To put it another way, dharma simply means acting like a good person.

And that’s a matter of making little choices. Daily choices. Honorable choices.

But not self-conscious choices. Like you’re constantly monitoring yourself.

As in, “Euwwww. How icky! I almost did something that wouldn’t have been perfectly in keeping with my dharma.”

That’s Spiritual Hypochondria. AKA, both working too hard. And also a total waste of time.

WHY Would It Be Smart to Stop Spiritual Hypochondria?

Because… it means working too hard. And it’s also a total waste of time.

And HOW Can You Stop Spiritual Hypochondria?

Simply do your reasonable best.

To rephrase it, live like a human being. Not a wannabe plaster saint.

Granted, some of you may not find this idea “too hard.” Or “not super-complicated, working hard like I’m used to all (long) day long.”

Two remedies can make all the difference. Both remedies having been mentioned earlier in today’s article. 😉

Please, please, please read “The New Strong.” Read it slowly. And say out loud your own personal examples of what I’m talking about. (Because you really will have plenty of them.)

And if, after learning to live the New Strong, you’re still complicating your life. Somehow. Not exactly knowing why.

Then it’s time to book a personal session of Energy Spirituality. Let me find out the cause(s) and use the appropriate Healing Centerpiece for you.

In Conclusion

As always, Blog-Buddies, you’re cordially invited to COMMENT below.

I’m really curious to read your reactions.

Some of you might have some stories to share, as well. Like from times you used to try really, really hard:

Seems to me, one of the signs of a path that isn’t soul-satisfying? Either Energy Hypochondria or Spiritual Hypochondria.

Surely, you deserve better than either one.

Living on Earth says:

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation Rose!

“Because… it means working too hard. And it’s also a total waste of time.”. So true.

Oh the joys, challenges and discoveries of being human.

I know what you mean, LIVING ON EARTH.

So much to learn here at Earth School. So long as these lives of ours continue, we’ll never be done with that. And I’m glad.

Veronica says:

Ugh! Yup, I have done both in the past and even recently slipped into my own monitoring of my energies and others.

Veronica says:

Thank you for the great reminder post! Time to get back to living by the new rules in the New Strong.

Thank you Rose!

VERONICA, perhaps something happened recently that was a challenge in your life.

That’s when it’s natural to slip into old ways that bring us comfort. But if we’re committed to accepting reality and doing our reasonable best, that serves us far better than Energy Hypochondria.

As for noticing energies of other people, that can distract us from what they’re doing in reality. Better, usually, to live in reality, use your power when you can make an improvement to a relationship, and be prepared to accept the rest.

Accept it if we can, anyway. Otherwise, we have the option of making changes.

Either way, we”ll evolve faster from that, rather than trying to examine other people’s energies. Make sense?

Veronica says:

Thank you Rose for the heartfelt comments. It makes perfect sense to me!

Appreciated. 😃

Valerie says:

This used to be me Rose!

Spiritual Hypochondria is not only a waste of time, but I find that it used to take me out of living in the moment and living in my life.

Valerie says:

This bad habit kept me distracted from things in my life that deserve my attention and create change and movement in my life.

VALERIE, what you wrote about Spiritual Hypochondria in Comment #9 is so true. And how ironic, that in a valiant quest for God (or whatever the person considers the ultimate spiritual goal)… the spiritual seeker is taking a vacay from living in human time.

Living like somebody being human!

Also, I’m delighted that you flagged Spiritual Hypochondria as a bad habit. Same thing with Energy Hypochondria.

We can learn to position our consciousness in reality, as a default. Just what you’ve done, VALERIE.

Energy Spirituality offers two effective resources to help a person break habits like these.

If you like to read books — or can tolerate reading books, so long as they’re short and lively — get yourself a copy of “The New Strong.” Read a little bit daily, thinking as you go. Since many ideas are quite the opposite of mainstream thinking.

On the other hand, what if you prefer a lively, interactive workshop. Studying on demand on your mobile phone or with your laptop!

Then I’ve got a resource for you!

Jayme says:

I have felt like this before and have friends going through it a lot recently.

Jayme says:

I think sometimes it’s a matter of trying to forgive other people for things you won’t forgive yourself for.

Jayme says:

Kind of the golden rule in reverse.

Jayme says:

I’ve definitely held myself to a standard of “shoulds” instead of being reasonable or just being nice to myself sometimes.

Jayme says:

It causes a lot of guilt and unnecessary pressure.

Jayme says:

And worrying about “energies” or my own energy has always drained me instead of helping (worrying about anything isn’t very helpful).

Thank you for this post.

JAYME, good to hear from you again.

On the positive side, I’m sure everyone who has read this series of comments has a sense of familiarity. You’ve given us pop psychology… and at its most perceptive.

And, of course, the point of commenting here at the blog is for you to share your reactions and personal point of view to any comment.

However, JAYME, I can’t resist noting how you’re combining the perspective of Energy Spirituality with a different perspective. From pop psychology! Which has become many people’s go-to way of thinking about life. (But doesn’t have to be yours or mine.)

Here’s one example of what I mean. “And worrying about ‘energies’ or my own energy has always drained me instead of helping (worrying about anything isn’t very helpful).”

That language about “drained me”? That’s the kind of thing folks notice with Stage 1 Energetic Literacy.

From a different perspective — a not-yet-mainstream perspective — here’s what I was trying to get at.

Many people do worrying. Don’t both of us know that! However, in this article I wasn’t trying to write about everyday worrying. Or to conflate regular, everyday worrying into something with fancy names: Energy Hypochondria and Spiritual Hypochondria.

Instead, this article aimed to help you Blog-Buddies understand more about consciousness lifestyles. And positioning consciousness.

What we pay attention to, at any given moment. (Usually spontaneously.) That’s positioning consciousness. Some of us have habits of positioning consciousness psychologically into subconscious info. While others position our awareness habitually into astral energies. While others keep trying to position their consciousness into something “godly.”

That said, thanks for your contribution here, JAYME.

I wonder if other Blog-Buddies read about Spiritual Hypochondria and Energy Hypochondria from a psychological point of view. Or a religious perspective. A photographer’s perspective. Any perspective at all!

Because countless people are working so hard every day, looking everywhere (in consciousness) except at their human lives. And the way they do it? This involves being extra-particular about their spiritual path.

Not having a clue that they’re giving themselves a hard time unnecessarily, in the manner I call “Spiritual Hypochondria.”

While other people don’t even have a spiritual goal. They’re not seeking “Enlightenment” or any big-time ideal.

Instead they happen to be living in the early years of the Age of Awakening. And thus, as I describe (and to some degree, explain) in early chapters of “The New Strong,” they’re constantly doing energy talk.

Even going from simple energy talk… to Energy Hypochondria.

People you care about, for instance, JAYME and other Blog-Buddies. Even how some of us used to live, as VALERIE wrote in Comments #9 and 10.

By all means, everyone, share your stories and reactions. Because every time you do, you’re making these concepts more real.

Like, there was actually a time before people ate avocado toast. But now it’s a thing, right?

Wouldn’t it be great if we could move these two real-and-true concepts into the mainstream?

I think it could help people who are working so hard to have better lives… Help them to work less hard, and grow faster, and also enjoy life more.

But how, exactly, could YOU help move these two real-and-true concepts into the mainstream?

One way is to share this article with friends, emailing it or linking to it on social media. (For that purpose, here’s a shorter url that you could use for that purpose: energyspirituality.live/Energy-Hypochondria)

And what’s another way you could enliven the ideas of Energy Hypochondria and Spiritual Hypochondria?

Simply talk about them. Every one of you Blog-Buddies I personally know… is a really good talker!

Hey, I’ve just noticed, we do have BUTTONS beneath every main post for LIKE on Facebook and TWEET on Twitter. Please use them, Blog-Buddies.

Maybe I just noticed because I’m having a ball these days, being far more active on both… compared to when this blog was redesigned, those buttons were installed, and I didn’t really haha notice….

Janice Hooper says:

So Rose, what do I say to my long time friend Gladys who is convinced that she is helping herself by constantly grounding and cleansing and shielding?

Excellent question, JANICE. For starters, don’t show her this blog post. (Let her find this one on her own, when and if she’s ready.)

Instead, maybe send her these links:

Following that, if Gladys is receptive, buy her a copy of “The New Strong” — give it to her, and tell her it has helped you a lot.

(If true. For you, JANICE, I just know it’s true.) Thanks for your caring question btw.