Psychological Overwork in the Age of Awakening

Psychological Overwork does jack up your aura with wisdom. Instead it creates a mess. A FIX-ABLE mess.

Psychological Overwork.

Be your own therapist” may be a popular notion. Yet, as choices go, the aura-level results are awful. Find out: Why can doing a lot of psychological work on yourself set you back? Not move you forward but quite the opposite!

Also, Blog-Buddies, discover this little-known truth: How my research into auras shows that Psychological Overwork causes very distinctive problems. Fortunately, these problems can be solved surprisingly fast.

Just not by analyzing them!

For Fun, What Do these Songs Have in Common?

1. I’ve Been Working on the Railroad
  2. Working in a Coal Mine
  3. Working on a Chain Gang

Did I describe all of them in my memoir, “Bigger than All the Night Sky“? No, that can’t be it. Only one of those songs got that honor. 😉

Look, all three of these ditties laments doing physical work. Namely, work in objective reality.

By contrast, the kind of overwork you’re learning about in this article? It concerns working in subjective reality. Specifically…

What Is Psychological Overwork?

It’s a problem that shows up where a trained psychologist can never find it. Admittedly, how ironic is that?

Fortunately, I work in a different field, Energy Spirituality. If you’re new to it, please read this article about 10 Bright Ideas. Then keep reading.

Psychological Overwork is a consciousness lifestyle.

Essentially, it’s just a bad habit. And it can be changed! Until then, this consciousness lifestyle limits how a person pays attention to self. To work. To other people. Even to life itself.

Sound Familiar?

To clarify what happens in Psychological Overwork, let’s use the example of Gladys. Back in college, she started studying psychology. Later she read some self-help books and saw some YouTube videos. As a result, she does things that many, many people believe are essential. Almost requirements for self-actualization. 😉

1. Often, each day, Gladys will ask herself: “How does that make you feel?”
  2. Most of her waking hours, she tries to monitor her emotions.
  3. And even control them.
  4. Moreover, whatever happens in her day. (Even reading this blog.) She translates all of it in her favorite language. Such a great language, full of deep meaning! Supposedly. She constantly translates everything into psychology talk.
  5. Worst of all, most of Gladys’ conversations with friends involves analyzing psychologist. Like, she and her friend take turns playing therapist to each other.

So What’s the Prob with That?

First, the problem. How can you tell a person like Gladys has slipped into Psychological Overwork? Through a combo of Energetic Literacy Skills. And also Energy Spirituality ENERGY HEALING. Both sets of skills, combined.

No wonder every Energy Spirituality Expert can find this problem. Most important, we can help our clients to get over it!

Ironically, who can’t spot it? Mental health professionals.

Neither can the pastor at your church. Or family members and friends.

Yet one more reason to book a personal session with me! Overall, I can help you with personal growth and spiritual awakening. Always, I’ll do a kind of check-up early in your session. Thus, if you happen to have a problem with Psychological Overwork? Then helping you to get past that will become your session’s Healing Centerpiece.

Otherwise, there are plenty of other ways I can help you. Always co-creating with a form of the Divine (that’s acceptable to you).

Isn’t Psychological Work Simply What Smart People Do?

Not any more! Heck, Sigmund Freud was just getting famous about 100 years before the Age of Awakening.

Following that, randomly working on yourself psychologically could have give you some benefit. Until…

After the Shift on 12-21-12, people have begun to develop Psychological Overwork. Or Spiritual Addiction. Or both.

In Part 2 of this series of articles, I’ll help you learn how to stop this vicious cycle. Also, I’ve got quite a Teaching Tale to tell.

Before then….

COMMENT Away, Blog-Buddies

Maybe you’ve got questions.

Maybe you’ve got a Teaching Tale of your own to tell.

Go for it. And remember, you can always COMMENT anonymously. In the first line, write “Call Me Pat” or whatever. I’ll take care of the rest.

Just for fun…
    All three work songs, listed near the top of this post, have links to great renditions on YouTube. Do any of them sound familiar to you?

I grew up hearing all three. But only two would be considered classics today. (I think.)

Simon says:

I’d only heard of “I’ve been working on the railroad”

I know we have 9-5, by Dolly Parton but I wonder what knowledge workers song are out there now.

Simon says:

I think psychological overwork would have been something that I would have experienced had I not had Energy Spirituality sessions soon after the shift.

Simon says:

A lot of the students that studied psychology and counselling at college with me were definitely heading down that path.

And thinking it was not only normal but also a virtuous and more evolved path.

SIMON, your Comment #3 is fascinating. (As are your other comments as well.) Of course, most of us Blog-Buddies here — and those we know — don’t work on a railroad, or in manufacturing. Today, most of us are knowledge workers.

In fact, being knowledge workers, we have all the more temptation to live in our heads outside of work, don’t we? And from there, it’s a very short distance to doing psychological work on ourselves.

Except that we don’t have to, haha!

Instead, we can take more of an interest in objective reality: What smells good. What sounds good. What looks good. And talking about anything interesting… to people… out loud. All of these are excellent ways to prevent Psychological Overwork.

Funny thing, SIMON, about that allure. Why do you think psychological work has seemed more appealing than other kinds of inquiry? And I’d love to hear from you other Blog-Buddies about this as well.

Did you ever feel as though working on yourself psychologically would provide all of life’s most meaningful answers?

I studied Psychology in college because I wanted to understand and help people. It didn’t do what I had hoped.

I did not ultimately choose a career in Psychology; but I continued to read self-help books, often failing to fix myself.

All that work, with few results. So grateful for Energy Spirituality.

“The New Strong” is a much more effective way to live. Thanks, Rose!

SANDRA, thank you for sharing your experience so succinctly. Inspiring!

Valerie says:

Psychological overwork is an old habit I sometimes revert back to during difficult times.

Ethan says:

Hi Rose- This reminds me of the pop psych term “analysis paralysis”-where we overthink to the point of not being productive.

Definitely I was less productive when I did too much technique time, and I did all the inner digging to look for answers and feel better-which I did not.

Valerie says:

You ask why does it seem so appealing?

Sometimes I just think I can “figure it out” in my head Rose.

Valerie says:

But then I have people like you in my life to remind me that it doesn’t work!

For me it always just results in exhaustion.

ETHAN, thanks for reminding us all of the perils of ANALYSIS PARALYSIS.

Funnier in those words than it is in reality!

VALERIE, the sweet honesty in this series of comments is really worthy of Valentine’s Day.

Especially I appreciate the self-compassion with which you note: Sometimes you’ll go back to psychological analysis during hard times, but then you quickly move past it.

That’s personal growth for you! We can’t just do it once and get it all over with. Haha.

James R. says:

Hi Rose! I would like to make a comment about my experiences with psychology. They’ve been pretty interesting…

James R. says:

As far as I know, I have never experienced “Psychological Overwork.” (Though it’s definitely possible that I may have dipped into it, or flirted with the idea!)

James R. says:

I went to a psychologist a few times as a teenager. I only went a few times. Looking back now, I think it might have helped me, and it might have been better for me to continue. I was in such a bad place then.

I think it would be interesting and life-affirming to some day have you, Rose, research some Energetic Holograms of moments with this therapist.

James R. says:

The reason I say it might have been good for me to continue, was that I really could have used some support outside of my family at that time.

Someone who didn’t have an agenda to keep me thinking and hurting in particular ways.

James R. says:

However, I also remember thinking that the therapist really didn’t understand me.

Not that they had much of a chance at all. 🙂 It’s in the past, still it would be interesting to understand better today, to help me understand my own life more.

James R. says:

So, this brings up the topic of a therapist being a good fit. And it brings me to a point. 🙂

James R. says:

Since that therapist when I was a minor, I didn’t have interest in going to therapy. But recently in adulthood I have gone back.

Rose, you helped me choose a therapist. She’s not perfect but she is very, very good. She has been tremendously helpful for me.

James R. says:

I do the sessions only. I don’t think about them much afterwards or try to analyze myself in any particular way.

It helps that my therapist herself is not in psychological overwork, and does not encourage any such practices! Instead, she is just effective and helpful. I get results while I am with her and don’t have to do anything extra. For as long as it helps me, I will continue, and after that, I will stop. I feel grateful to have this resource.

James R. says:

I also feel grateful that Rose has complex understandings of many things, including Psychological Overwork.

It’s not like all psychologists and therapy are bad. In fact they can be tremendously helpful when it’s the right person, time, and place.

Rose, I know Energy Spirituality and Psychology are different. 🙂

And you mention in the article a few times that Psychological Overwork can be spotted by an Energy Spirituality professional, but not by a Psychology professional.

James R. says:

I think I understand why. But maybe you are willing to explain more?

James R. says:

Maybe the question I am getting at, is what are the tools are psychologist uses, versus the tools an Energy Spirituality professional uses?

They are both “inside” tools, but they are different. … But different how?

James R. says:

(I think this ties in with the change from physical labor workers to knowledge workers!)

James R. says:

I read the article carefully and have read others on the topic carefully, but still have some real vagueness in my understanding.

Thank you.

JAMES R., what a wonderful share, and also what a great question in Comment #31. I’ll be delighted to answer. But in a full blog post.

First I’d like to complete the series of articles of which this is Part 2. Look for that blog post soonish, then. And thanks for a great idea.

Janice says:

Wow, these comments seem really important to me.

Janice says:

I was especially intellectually moved (is there a word for that?) by the comment about how now that most people are knowledge workers, rather than doing physical labor, there is more temptation to live in our heads outside of work.

Janice says:

This makes so much sense to me, and I really appreciate when true concepts from Energy Spirituality, like Psychological Overwork, are more contextualized.

Janice says:

It really helps me understand more why things are the way they are now, in this era.

Actually, I think it helps me to adjust more to living in the Age of Awakening when I can understand this sort of thing.

Janice says:

It’s like old Age of Faith expectations and beliefs that were holding me back are coming wonderfully unstuck and unglued from me.

Janice says:

8 years in the Age of Awakening, things are pretty chaotic and pretty rough.

The fact that something that is really a sort of simple understanding could wake me up so much to what is true now, and make me realize old ways I had been stuck in Age of Faith beliefs, gives me hope that things really will work out!!

Janice says:

We really are so early in this new age.

And wow back to you, JANICE, for these superb comments.

Really, we’re just getting started, as human beings living in the Age of Awakening.

Regarding your Comment #36, JANICE, of course we can be intellectually moved.

(Psssst, that’s one of my dearest wishes for regular readers of this blog. Intellectually moved along your path. And intellectually moved into living more of The New Strong.)