Spiritual Shutdown

Spiritual Shutdown

Spiritual Shutdown. Like locking yourself up, inwardly, to become safe. Safe or trapped?

Spiritual Shutdown. It matters, even if people can’t see it with the naked eye. Let’s define Spiritual Shutdown here, relating it to social problems.

Here’s a hint why it matters. Based on my research as the founder of Rosetree Energy Spirituality (RES)… I’d estimate that 45% of Americans (and many others elsewhere) have fallen into spiritual shutdown.

A practical definition of spiritual shutdown

Aurically, the definition of spiritual shutdown is simple.

• Chakra databanks related to spiritual expansion, helping others, and otherwise being a World Server? They shut down.
  • Chakra databanks related to human concerns and abilities dominate.

Behaviorally the definition of spiritual shutdown is complicated:

• Beautiful traditional values
  • Emphasis on law and order
  • Strong sense of virtue, including superiority to those with “Wrong views”
  • Reactions to anything spiritual with defensiveness, whether old-fashioned human contempt, old-time religious labeling, stalwart disregard, indifference, etc.
  • A crying need to ignore any aspects of reality that conflict with the established belief system

Recovery from Spiritual Shutdown

Of course this is possible. The hardest part would be admitting to yourself that a problem exists.

Then energy healing is necessary, because such a problem surely exists for good reason. Spiritual shutdown is not anybody’s fate for life. It is just an aura-level, consciousness-related problem. (Just like spiritual addiction, in that regard.)

Healing with help from Rosetree Energy Spirituality would require one session at a time. Probably not just one, either. Probably a standing appointment would help, arranged at regular intervals depending on one particular person’s needs and how that individual responds to aura-level healing.

Such healing represents great opportunity for personal growth as part of this sort of recovery? Because fears and trauma can go very deep. When someone shuts down to authentic spiritual life, there is always good reason. Yet STUFF can always, always, always be healed.

That’s vital to recognize because folks in spiritual shutdown often feel stifled, half-dead inside, scared, and very confused. “I am doing all the right things, the traditional things. So how come I feel so bad?”

Contributing to Spiritual Shutdown

Another problem specific to spiritual shutdown is how many resources exist that sound helpful but would only exacerbate the spiritual shutdown, such as receiving counseling with Evangelical or Fundamentalist practitioners. Just because the word “God” is attached does not mean that a person has any significant degree of spiritual contact.

Aura reading with Stage Three Energetic Literacy can show that pretty clearly. But how many Fundamentalist Christians do you know who are really good aura readers (yet)?

Of course, a person who wishes to heal and open up to life can find a way, one bit of healing at a time!

Incidentally, which chemical substances most commonly contribute to Spiritual Shutdown? Alcohol and opioids head the list.

Linda Stone says:

Rose,

What a unique and thought-provoking way to view our elected leadership. And anyone right now for that matter.

I had not seen the aura reading for Newt Gingrich. I do remember however, when I saw him as Speaker of the House. I could not understand how he was able to climb to that position. I felt very disturbed by him and inherently did not trust anything about him. That was my unskilled aura reading and empath merge at the time.

I understand people so much better and with more clarity, now that I have skill sets to read auras. Spiritual shutdown seems to be epidemic, spiritual addiction close behind. People who are shut down seem harder to reach than the spiritually addicted. Then there is often drug addiction overlayed with spiritual addiction or spiritual shutdown.

I am anxious for the hundredth monkey effect with Rosetree Energy Spirituality. Until then it will be one Gladys and Joe at a time.

David B says:

From an outsiders perspective, the US is oddly polarized. Most countries have multi-party slates and often there is obliged compromise along with the polarizing. Canada also has regional parties that represent primarily one area, like Quebecois.

But the US polarization does illustrate your points well, Rose.

Dana says:

Thank you for this article, Rose! I needed a reminder about all the Spiritual Shutdown at this time. Even though you wrote extensively about it before, part of me expects people to be rapidly changing after The Shift. I just assume that people overall are going to be feeling better… but that’s definitely not the case.

Thanks Rose. This article cleared up something I had been wondering about–how Obama could possibly have been elected given the shut down state of so many people in America. Good to know that the percentage who is not shut down is still slightly higher. But you are so right–Mitt Romney was a perfect representation of Republican consciousness and this current political shutdown is such an apt metaphor for the current spiritual shutdown/addiction.

Thanks so much, everyone. Here is a question for all you Blog-Buddies, including KYLIE, DANA, DAVID B., and LINDA STONE.

If my research is correct, and so many people today are living in spiritual shutdown, what do you think is the most effective way of communicating with them?

I don’t necessarily mean interacting with politicians, but your neighbors, the folks at supermarket checkout, other parents at the public school, co-workers at the office.

Often there is an ongoing self-segregation. People with spiritual shutdown stick to themselves, while people with spiritual addiction stick to themselves.

All of you reading this are most likely in that 10% of rapidly evolving people in neither camp. So which ways to reach out have been effective for you?

David B says:

Hi Rose
    I frame it a little differently. Spiritual shutdown has been going on for a long time. It started at a specific time historically. What’s changed to me is that consciousness is rising, so it’s pushing people to evolve but some are resisting and becoming more entrenched. I’d describe this as transitioning the hard way.

When I was more in the addiction category, I did indeed stick with “my kind” as much as possible. Now I simply live in the world and interact with people as it arises. If people are interested in what I do or my outlook, I do some boundary stretching. (laughs) But otherwise I simply interact. We’re all of the same cloth.

I guess this means I don’t reach out except through writing people can search for. But I now leave the door open. At one time, i kept it guarded.

This also ties back to a previous discussion. The darshan effect.

I really don’t know. First of all, I live in Massachusetts where I would guess the percentage of people not in spiritual shutdown is a lot higher than in most American cities. I’ve ended up in the city where I am because I need things that are found in a city of people whose lights are on (culture, public transit, civil rights, organic groceries.) Even so, I meet very very few people who are fully enjoying their lives.
    I focus on spending time with people who move my heart, regardless of where they are on the spiritual evolution scale. Not that I can tell that–I don’t have energetic literacy yet. But these days, since the shift (and since I changed my name–hard to tell what is causing what) I seem to be able to tell right away who the people are who I can connect to, who I want to connect to. I don’t expend a lot of energy on people I don’t connect with.

And with those people I do connect to, I meet them where they are. I try to offer the suggestions that I think they will be open to receiving. I’m fairly candid about my own choices. What I’m doing, why I do it. I try to speak up when something seems wrong to me. And after that, I don’t worry about it. It’s not my job to change other people.
    My best connections are with people from other countries. I’ve realized this since I begin volunteering as an ESOL tutor. The happiness I get from interacting with the people I meet through ESOL tutoring spills out into my interactions with everyone else (even people I really don’t like very much.)

So, I guess I’d say that the answer for me to the question of how to deal with spiritually shut down people is to fill my happiness meter elsewhere and to deal with spiritually shut down people objectively, in whatever way it makes sense to deal with them.

But frankly, I’m very happy that I don’t run into many Tea party fanatics…

I would add one more thing, which is that I think that I encourage people either overtly or through example to enjoy their own lives more fully and to make changes that will bring more soul thrill into their lives.

I like that phrase David, about stretching your boundaries with people who are interested. It is very exciting for me when that happens…

David B says:

And now right-wing truckers hope to shut down the Beltway around DC. Life imitates state of being.

Melanie says:

Living in a community that is mostly spiritual shutdown, I’ve learned and grown a lot. Learning to be balanced, true to myself, learning to trust myself more, and to trust in myself more. People living in spiritual shutdown can be fun to do things with, as long as I avoid deep subjects including religion and politics. Occasionally, I will slip something into conversation that makes them think a little, but spiritually shutdown people don’t make close friends for me.

I don’t think it’s my job to communicate beyond the basics with anyone I don’t want to. I certainly have no intention of changing the way people think. I have caused people to think, just because I chose to express my opinion. Some have just brushed it off, some avoid me, and some come back for more.

For me, communicating with those in spiritual shutdown doesn’t usually go beyond “How ’bout them Redwings?” (Local hockey team) Not my favorite subject.

What kind of communication did you have in mind?

Linda Stone says:

Rose,

My experience is if someone does not ask, I do not impose my ideas or information on them. If they ask…..well, watch out because I am going to SHARE big time.

Modeling what I do and believe is the way I have consistently shared who I am, what I do, and what I believe. It seems as in most addictive behavior, people need to hit their own proverbial bottom before seeking help or relief. I know that that is what has happened for me. Both emotionally and spiritually.

I have a lot of compassion for those lost ones because I wandered for some time in that jujube forest myself.

Dana says:

Like Kylie, I have found that it has helped me “to fill my happiness meter elsewhere and to deal with spiritually shut down people objectively, in whatever way it makes sense to deal with them.” Well put, Kylie!

I am definitely happier and more effective in my choices this way. And I’m not trying to be friends with people who would never really like me anyway or be very fun.

Dana says:

David B., I like how you said: “What’s changed to me is that consciousness is rising, so it’s pushing people to evolve but some are resisting and becoming more entrenched.” Such a fascinating thing to me! I also like how you said: “I’d describe this as transitioning the hard way.” 🙂

Suz says:

Each “side” seems to think it’s the other “side” that has the lights off.

Pot, kettle. Hmmm.

Thanks Dana! I got that idea from this silly computer game called Life Quest that I played once. In the game you live in a little city and you are supposed to be competing with others and amassing stuff (I hated this part of the game) and as part of that you took jobs.

Some jobs paid a lot of money, but sapped your happiness meter so much that you’d be forced to take repeated rest breaks. Other jobs didn’t pay so well, but filled the happiness meter. The trick was to find a balance between a job that paid decently without bankrupting your happiness. There were also other activities you could participate in that upped the happiness meter like getting a pet or working out.

Anyway, it was so silly but it stuck in my head as a metaphor for soul thrill. I’m really aware now of when my own happiness meter is low and what I need to do about it (interact with people I connect with, go walking outside, take a dance class, etc.)

I also recently turned down a part time job because the minute I walked into the office environment I felt my happiness sinking. It would have paid well and it had the perfect hours but my happiness meter would have hit the floor if I took that job.

I love these comments. “How about those Redwings” is right. But if people ask, watch out! Yes, indeed!
    I agree that modeling what I do and believe is the most effective way to influence other people.

I’ve also noticed that people often need to hit rock bottom before making changes.

One of the things I’ve noticed in my own life is that I seem to store other people’s experiences/things other people have said/things I notice about their auric modeling– for later.

Somebody might tell me something that shocks me at the time, or that seems really weird, or that sounds kind of exciting but I can’t imagine doing it in my own life….Years later, things change, I’m ready for that info and I use it.

I think this is the case for many people. So, even if the things I share when people ask are too “far out” for them when I share it….I trust that at some point they will remember that information.

For example, the first time I encountered somebody who changed their name, I thought that was just plain weird. If you had told me that one day I would do the same, I would never have believed you.

But when the time was right, I remembered that person’s example and experience.

One of the best things in life for me is how we all influence each other, in so many mysterious ways. In 1994 (I think?) my sister Julie gifted me a reading with Rose. Wow, did that ever influence my life!

When I was 29 and had been struggling with my sexuality and whether to come out as a lesbian or not for ten years, a 19 year old girl walked into my workplace (she was a new student employee) and casually announced to everyone (along with other information about herself) that she was bisexual. There was something so fresh and brave and simple about the way she said it…it rocked my world. “Oh, that’s how you do it!”

A man I met on a trip through Athens Georgia told me about his experience getting a master’s degree at Smith College. He’s the reason I moved to Boston.

This is why, as much as possible, I’m an open book in my interactions with other people. I want my life to be grist for other people’s mill, the same way other people have been for mine.

Amy says:

I think it was advice I received from a session in how to interact with some difficult family members that was most helpful for me.

Focusing on objective reality, and no mushy-gushy stuff. Like bringing my Mom on a trip to the cinema, or tidying up the house a bit when I visit, or scheduling regular visits (that I still ensure are quite short) and asking about their lives. Practical, pragmatic things that show I care.

Then when the discussion centres around something I disagree with, for example, paranoia about being burgled/mugged/taken advantage of (a strong fear of some relatives of mine), I am very matter of fact. “It is unlikely to happen [in x situation] so I don’t worry about it apart from taking basic precautions, if it does happen it isn’t the end of the world and I will deal with it…Thanks for your advice”[change topic of conversation].

In work situations I find it harder, as people in spiritual shutdown, I find, can get quite distressed and dramatic over things changing/not going their way, and it can affect the work environment. I don’t tend to discuss much of importance, except for career advice (and encouraging people who want to study or apply for different jobs, as generally it is temporary work in my team).

Sandra says:

So enjoying everyone’s comments in response to Rose’s question about how to deal with the spiritually shutdown. Amy, I like your practical and compassionate take on it. And Kylie, what a beautiful image you have drawn for me: people touching people in small, meaningful ways that over time have tremendous impact.

Like Linda, I do not often share my spiritual views unless asked. Sometimes I do anyway, if it seems like a natural part of the conversation. I have noticed that, on occasion, people (who have much fear around dogma concerning God and damnation) seem to want to hear my more optimistic view of things. Maybe it brings them some peace.

Thanks Sandra!

Curious As Ever says:

Re: Melanie “I don’t think it’s my job to communicate beyond the basics with anyone I don’t want to” — I quite agree. This is what I mean re: “don’t stand on the tracks and then complain when you get run over.”

Morgan says:

I think that the best advantage from having been so brainwashed growing up in an ultra-conservative X-ian cult is being able to relate to people of spiritual shut down. I can totally understand their perspective and fear so when talking to people, I can talk on their level and in non-threatening language that they can understand without coming on too weird or as “one of them”.